Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Fun image of Austrian army 1958:

Using MG-3, M1 Garand and T-34/85.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, I came across Mark Rogers' art - he's mixing frontier Americana with supernatural/aliens ... not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of a Weird West setting, but I would watch this show/play this game/read this book. :lol:

https://www.markrogersart.com/new-index-1

Some examples (many more at the link above):

"Battle in the Red Cavity"

"Ceremonial Science Temple"

"The Abduction of Floy Mason"

"An Audience With a Lord"

"Equinox Ritual"

"Death Priests"

"Dream Harvest"

"The Astral Picnic"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Nice story Syt.

I'll refrain from quoting your post as I might break the forum by reposting around 12mb of jpgs in a single post. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2023, 02:20:08 AMAlso, I came across Mark Rogers' art - he's mixing frontier Americana with supernatural/aliens ... not gonna lie, I'm not a big fan of a Weird West setting, but I would watch this show/play this game/read this book. :lol:

If I didn't know better I would just assume these were pictures from the Book of Mormon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

So...thats a thing that somebody has done. :lol:
I laugh at it in itself and the weirdness of its existance.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2023, 07:27:02 AMNice story Syt.

I'll refrain from quoting your post as I might break the forum by reposting around 12mb of jpgs in a single post. :D

Agree with both sentiments, and that's why I'm quoted you and not Syt.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

The Larch

From this Twitter thread (https://twitter.com/kane/status/1646195380290306066), real infrastructure that looks out of sci-fi.

Interior of a liquid gas tanker

Neutrino detector

Adaptative optics observatories

Tokyo Metropolitan Area Underground Discharge Channel

US Air Force test center anechoic chambers in Edwards Air Force Base, California

Bucket Wheel excavators

R/P FLIP, a naval research vessel able to flip into a vertical position

Semi submersible heavy lift vessels

Concentrated solar power plants

Royal Ontario Museum

AREVA nuclear reactor factory

Elevator testing facilities

AT&T Long Lines building in NYC

Google's quantum computer

Compact muon solenoid detector at the Large Hadron Collider

Sandia National Laboraties' Z Machine x ray source at Albuquerque, New Mexico

Overland trains

Da Vinci's robot assisted surgical system

Monticello Dam reservoir in Napa county, California

General Electric's Aviation Engine Testing, Research and Development Center in Winnipeg

Supersonic wind tunnel at the ONERA (French Aerospace Research Center) on the suburbs of Paris

Tunnel boring machines

Global Seed Vault at Svalbard, Norway

National Ignition Facility's target chamber at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, California

Wind blade transportation for wind parks

Radar array in Ny-Alesund, Norway

Mare Nostrum supercomputer in Barcelona

Duga radar array in Chernobyl

HVC

Cool pictures. Something about big equipment makes me feel like a little kid.

Also, I hate, hate, hate the stupid crystal cancer/expansion at the Royal Ontario Museum. Great museum inside though. Subway station is cool too

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Just posting this link here of a guy sharing some family pictures (250+, actually).

https://imgur.com/gallery/fwLObTE

Guy's grandfather was U.S. military intelligence in the 1950s/60s, with pictures from his time in Britain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Vietnam, Japan. Additionally, his grandfather was captain of a freighter, traveling the Middle East in the 1950s (Saudi Arabia, Jerusalem, Lebanon).

Some very cool pictures in there. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Visited London on Tuesday for a bit of a Languish inspired 11-12mile 'death march', managed to fit in the Tower of London, HMS Belfast, British Museum and the Cabinet/Churchill War Rooms in Whitehall.

The Tower was the expect tourist hotspot, odd to 'see' the missing coronation crowns and other tat replaced by little printer signs along the lines of 'item removed for big event'. :D

HMS Belfast the most fun, climbing up and down the ships ladders to access the different decks including the engine room and shell magazines.

Only went to the British museum for a coffee, a glimpse of the Sutton Hoe Saxon collection and because it was on the way back from St.Pauls.

The rebranded Churchill war rooms was ok, but a very dark underground museum to spend the last part of the day in and I've been there before, just after it'd opened so back then one had a more open, less managed museum experience.

Had a bit of time to kill so spent an hour wondering around the coronation ground zero, now a pedestrianised area around Westminster.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"