Former Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert Pleads Guilty on Federal Charges

Started by jimmy olsen, May 28, 2015, 06:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2016, 10:16:30 AM
Not sure why this isn't a really big story. The guy was speaker of the house.

He is out of office, thus not a useful scandal for political purposes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2016, 06:28:56 PM
Jerry Sandusky, the sequel.

Which involved an assistant college football coach, retired for a bit more than 10 years.

While this case involves a speaker of the house, retired for a bit less than 10 years.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

I remember when Hastert was chosen as Speaker, he was presented as just the type of boring, vanilla, scandal-free kind of guy we needed.  Sad to say, but the first thing I thought of when I heard he had been a wrestling coach was "crap, hope he's not some kind of pedo".

Never ignore your gut, I guess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 11, 2016, 12:09:28 PM
Which involved an assistant college football coach, retired for a bit more than 10 years.

While this case involves a speaker of the house, retired for a bit less than 10 years.

The first case also involved a cover-up by a beloved cultural icon.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 11, 2016, 12:28:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 11, 2016, 12:09:28 PM

The first case also involved a cover-up by a beloved cultural icon.

I can't get to a beloved cultural icon, but there must be some cover up angle to work here. Surely there must have been rumors--see derspeiss's post about just a hunch he had. And surely some other house members must have tried to quash them that would just be sound politics.

We live in the age of sensationalism and clickbait journalism.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 11, 2016, 12:25:25 PM
I remember when Hastert was chosen as Speaker, he was presented as just the type of boring, vanilla, scandal-free kind of guy we needed.  Sad to say, but the first thing I thought of when I heard he had been a wrestling coach was "crap, hope he's not some kind of pedo".

Never ignore your gut, I guess.

Well fortunately he kept it under wraps until it didn't matter anymore. To the party anyway. Probably matters quite a bit to him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."