FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Switzerland barred any Swiss citizens who work for FIFA from leaving Switzerland.... Blatter no longer works for FIFA.....Probably resigned so he could flee to Russia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

I would like to think this will bring change.  I am old enough to believe there will be a promise to change and not so much change.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2015, 11:09:34 PM
I would like to think this will bring change.  I am old enough to believe there will be a promise to change and not so much change.

There is way too much easy money in this thing for real change.

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32986950

QuoteFifa's Sepp Blatter 'under investigation in US'

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is being investigated by US officials as part of their inquiry into corruption at the world football body, US media say.

The news came hours after Mr Blatter, 79, announced that he was stepping down from his role.

US prosecutors launched a criminal inquiry last week, with seven Fifa officials arrested in Switzerland, part of a group of 14 people indicted.

Two days after the arrests, Mr Blatter was re-elected president of Fifa.

However, he said on Tuesday that it appeared the mandate he had been given "does not seem to be supported by everyone in the world".

Mr Blatter said: "Fifa needs profound restructuring." He said he would continue in post until an extraordinary congress is called to elect a new president.

No dates have been set, but it is expected to take place between December 2015 and March 2016.

'Bribes and kickbacks'

US officials quoted in the New York Times said they hoped to gain the co-operation of some of the Fifa figures now under indictment on charges of racketeering and money laundering to try to build a case against Mr Blatter.

Earlier the FBI, Internal Revenue Service and the US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, who is involved in the US prosecutions, all said they would not comment on the Blatter resignation.

In its prosecution, the US justice department said 14 individuals were under investigation worldwide for allegedly accepting bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (£97m) over a 24-year period.

Two vice-presidents were among the seven Fifa officials arrested in Zurich. They all await US extradition proceedings.

Brazilian footballing legend Pele told the BBC that the developments surrounding Fifa and Mr Blatter "surprised everyone".

"My position is like a player. I want to see football put people together, stop the war," he said.

"Fifa needs honest people."

The arrests overshadowed the vote for a new president, which Mr Blatter won, defeating his sole challenger, Prince Ali bin Al Hussein of Jordan.

Prince Ali withdrew despite forcing a second round, having lost the first by 133 votes to 73.

Mr Blatter, who is Swiss and has been Fifa president since 1998, said he would urge Fifa's executive committee to organise an extraordinary congress "for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity".

"This will need to be done in line with Fifa's statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign."

Further allegations of corruption emerged on Tuesday with claims that Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke was linked to an alleged $10m (£6m) payment of bribes over South Africa's bid to host the 2010 World Cup. He denies any wrongdoing.

A separate criminal investigation by Swiss authorities into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated is also under way.

A few German sites claim that sponsors are leaning on FIFA to clean up their act.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Syt

FAZ has an OpEd saying that this is another tactic by Blatter - blaming the lack of reform on being dependent on the electorate of blockers, and that now any failure to reform is on their heads.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2015, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2015, 02:15:07 PM
Yeah.  Don't see how the big enchilada can be a fall guy.

He's a fall guy for the organization/system as a whole.

That's like saying Louis XVI was the fall guy for the ancien regime. Sure, the monarchy eventually got back into power but when the top honcho gets axed, he is not a "fall guy".

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2015, 11:09:34 PM

Sometimes I think we should execute people for corruption like China does.

Norgy

Hasn't quite stopped corruption in the PRC, has it? But I'd be all for guilloutining Blatter.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2015, 06:43:46 AM
That's like saying Louis XVI was the fall guy for the ancien regime.

Wait does this mean the US Government is like the Insurrectional Paris Commune? Anyway unless FIFA is being abolished I don't think this comparison holds up. This is more like sacrificing Ferdinand during the 1848 Revolution to save the Habsburg Regime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Warspite

How ironic that the great transatlantic reconciliation has taken place over football, of all things.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy