News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UK in "better teeth than America" shocker

Started by Brazen, May 27, 2015, 05:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

The Big Book of British Smiles in a myth :D :bowler:

QuoteStatistics suggest that, taken on pure oral health rather than appearance, the UK does better than the US.
According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's (OECD) figures, the average number of missing or filled teeth for a 12-year-old in the UK in 2008 (the latest figures available) was 0.7. This was the joint best rating that year.

The last figure reported by the OECD for the US, in 2004, was 1.3 - when the UK also got 0.7. The UK's decay and replacement rates started falling below those of the US during the mid-1990s. Going back to 1963, the UK rate was as high as 5.6.

QuoteThe image, some might say cultural stereotype, of British teeth being so bad might have had some truth once. Only 6% of UK adults have no natural teeth, the British Dental Association says. In 1978, the figure was as high as 37% in Wales. And people in the UK are among the most likely in Europe (72%) to attend dental surgeries, second only to those in the Netherlands (79%), the BDA adds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32883893

Caliga

Most people around here have good teeth, but just head a little ways into the bush and average tooth count starts to drop drastically.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 27, 2015, 05:23:17 AM
Quotethe BDA adds.

Anyway our national stereotypes are always decades behind. We still make jokes about Italians having huge families and Japanese people committing suicide to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The stereotype isn't about rotten or missing teeth, it's about crooked teeth.

Habbaku

I wonder what the figures are for Scotland and England broken apart.  Er, individually.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Caliga

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Tonitrus

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 12:41:23 PM
Do English kids ever get braces?
Yes, it's pretty common and many people qualify to get orthodontics free or discounted on the NHS. And big, flash white teeth are big business in the UK now - it's a celebrity and reality TV thing.

Norgy