Previous topic - Next topic

Should Finland Join NATO?

Unqualified Yes
12 (66.7%)
Yes, but only if Sweden joins as well.
5 (27.8%)
No, they should stay neutral like in the Cold War
1 (5.6%)
No. They should want to, but the Euros will/should veto their application.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Barrister

I suspect the best option for Finland, and for Russia, is for Finland to increase military spending and deepen its interoperability with NATO, but to forego actual membership.  There's still some security value for the Fins to remain marginally Finlandized, and unfortunately there's some ambiguity in the value of NATOs s. 5 guarantees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2015, 09:43:46 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 26, 2015, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2015, 09:10:09 AM
If they do join I look forward to RT explaining how the Winter War was a justified self defense against the Fascist Finns.

They are already doing that.

No shit? Well best to be pre-emptive.

:D I'm sure that's RT's position as well.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
I suspect the best option for Finland, and for Russia, is for Finland to increase military spending and deepen its interoperability with NATO, but to forego actual membership.  There's still some security value for the Fins to remain marginally Finlandized, and unfortunately there's some ambiguity in the value of NATOs s. 5 guarantees.

I dunno, I mean we already got the Baltic states. That's sure to rankle the Russkis a lot more than Finland.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2015, 11:29:39 AM
I dunno, I mean we already got the Baltic states. That's sure to rankle the Russkis a lot more than Finland.

I think he's talking about the deal from Finland's POV.  I.e. is it in their interest to incur the obligation to come to Latvia's defense.

derspiess

What's encouraging to me is that they are talking about increasing defense spending as a component of their move towards NATO.  Kind of a nice change of pace from some of the current members letting their armed forces wither away.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

From a Finnish perspective- no, why should they?
NATO has their back anyway and they don't have to do anything in return.

From a lets annoy Russians perspective- hell yes.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on May 26, 2015, 02:16:13 PM

If Russia found an excuse to violate Finnish sovereignty what would NATO do?  probably nothing.  Whether Finland was in our out of NATO.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on May 26, 2015, 02:16:13 PM

I don't think NATO will do a nuclear exchange with Russia over Finland if Finland isn't a member.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

I always thought "nuclear exchange" sounded too polite.  Like a cookie exchange but a little different.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Razgovory

You know what would really make them shit?  Get China to join.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

That would be worse for us than Russia.  Russia and China are pretty cozy these days anyway.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2015, 04:04:18 PM
That would be worse for us than Russia.  Russia and China are pretty cozy these days anyway.

Not so Cozy if they are NATO.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017