2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Josquius

Old gods bitch. In that world as in this. :thunor:
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

There is no real proof that there is an actual connection between Rh'llor and the magic that his followers use in his name...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2015, 02:19:38 PM
There is no real proof that there is an actual connection between Rh'llor and the magic that his followers use in his name...

Go back and rewatch the episode where the Red Priest talks about how he could only do tricks and he had lost his faith.  It was after the dragons were born that he was able to perform his God's magic and his faith was renewed.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2015, 02:25:25 PM

Go back and rewatch the episode where the Red Priest talks about how he could only do tricks and he had lost his faith.  It was after the dragons were born that he was able to perform his God's magic and his faith was renewed.

I don't doubt that Thoros believes there is a connection, but that doesn't make it so.

Indeed, the fact that it took an external event (the return of dragons) to make his "God's magic" work, then it seems likely it isn't his God's magic at all.

And in fact many who are not followers of Rh'llor (like the dudes making wildfire, or the necromancers on Qarth) who are finding their magic is working at all, or better. Clearly, the "magic" has nothing to do with Rh'llor at all. His followers are riding the same tide that is lifting all the magic users.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Ok, there is no real proof that any of the Gods exist.

That doesn't make a very interesting thread about the Gods in the fantasy world we are discussing. ;)

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
Ok, there is no real proof that any of the Gods exist.

I didn't say he doesn't exist, I said there isn't any real reason to believe that his followers ability to do "magic" is an artifact of their faith.

Since other people do magic who are not his followers, why should we believe that Melisandre, for example, is doing magic that is somehow different?

I mean, it *could* be of course. But I think it more likely that "magic" is something that exists, is driven by the existence of the dragons in some fashion, and lots of different people tap into it in different ways, and probably all of them think their way is somehow "special", but in reality it is likely all the same thing, for the most part.

That doesn't make a very interesting thread about the Gods in the fantasy world we are discussing. ;)

I think it make it a LOT more interesting, actually. :P

Faith is boring when it is obvious.

0 rows returned

The Brain

[Cal] Anything from the Esso menu. [/Cal]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2015, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 26, 2015, 09:32:35 AM
R'hllor because his Magic is real.

And yet his followers are not advanced enough to grasp the proper use of vowels.
Pass.

Says the Jew!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2015, 03:36:44 PM
Says the Jew!

Re-read thread title and premise :contract:
No such thing in westerns/essos
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2015, 02:31:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2015, 02:25:25 PM

I don't doubt that Thoros believes there is a connection, but that doesn't make it so.

Indeed, the fact that it took an external event (the return of dragons) to make his "God's magic" work, then it seems likely it isn't his God's magic at all.

And in fact many who are not followers of Rh'llor (like the dudes making wildfire, or the necromancers on Qarth) who are finding their magic is working at all, or better. Clearly, the "magic" has nothing to do with Rh'llor at all. His followers are riding the same tide that is lifting all the magic users.

It takes a very dedicated atheist to deny the power of deity when his priests are using supernatural means to kill people.