News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When history mixes with personal stuff

Started by Tamas, May 18, 2015, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

My mother recently learned that one of her great-grandfathers died in WW1. All the family folklore knew was that he was beheaded by an artillery shell, but nobody knew the year, not even the front.

So she requested information, and eventually got it from Vienna.

So now I know that one of my ancestors died (aged 43 IIRC) on the 29th of June, 1916, in one of the countless battles over Monte San Michele in Italy on the Isonzo Front.
The significance of that battle is that it was the first time gas was used on the Italian front. It was the Austro-Hungarian forces who managed to achieve some level of surprise with it.

Apparently this was a strategic location, fiercely contested. The Italians got it first, then the Austro-Hungarians got it in 1915, after horrible losses, including 80% casualties to the 20th division, where my great-great grandpa was (or would be sent to). Then in 1916 the Italians got it back after another fierce fighting.

RIP great-great grandpa. :(

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Neat, Tamas.  I didn't have any relatives killed in WWI but my great-great Uncle Jerry sustained brain damage from a nearby shell burst in 1918 on the Western Front and was kind of screwed up the rest of his life.  He managed to live until 1955 though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

I am amazed that they keep records about how each soldier died. 

Valmy

My Great-Grandfather was injured in WWI but his service went up in the fire that destroyed the records of my WWII ancestors as well. So I know very little of where he served and where he got injured. When he was alive he used to discuss how eerie he found the fact that in the destroyed French villages the spires of the church would remain. I guess he found something spiritual about that.

It is kind of sick that I have all the records of ancestors from all the 19th century wars but the two freaking world wars are a genealogical black hole. Thanks US for putting all the army service records in one building.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 18, 2015, 07:34:42 PM

Um isn't it standard procedure to do a roll call after each engagement to find out who is killed and missing?

'How many men do we have in the 19th division? Not sure sir, we have never checked.'

If 200 guys deserted or got captured that is also kind of important information. And if they know how men are getting killed that can aid in development of gear and/or tactics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

My family skipped most 20th century wars.  :)

Except for the fellow that fell out of the guard tower at Dacahu
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2015, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 18, 2015, 07:34:42 PM

Um isn't it standard procedure to do a roll call after each engagement to find out who is killed and missing?

'How many men do we have in the 19th division? Not sure sir, we have never checked.'

If 200 guys deserted or got captured that is also kind of important information. And if they know how men are getting killed that can aid in development of gear and/or tactics.

I don't think they bothered in the Nationalist armies/PLA  :D

Admiral Yi

Mono was talking about the specific cause of death.  I.e. high explosive to head.  I found that unusual as well.  There are usually records of type of wound suffered, but I've never seen anything about type of weapon used to kill someone.  At least nothing systematic.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2015, 04:31:01 PM

Crap your family has quick generation times. My only great great grandfather I know about was in the US Civil War.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
It is kind of sick that I have all the records of ancestors from all the 19th century wars but the two freaking world wars are a genealogical black hole. Thanks US for putting all the army service records in one building.
Yeah, my grandfather's WWII service records went up in smoke in that fire also, which is a damn shame because after he was a bomber radioman, he next did ATC duty, and then he did some secret thing at SHAEF.  I would have liked to have known what it was, since he hated talking about the war and never told his kids or wife much in the way of details.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on May 18, 2015, 08:02:47 PM

Crap your family has quick generation times. My only great great grandfather I know about was in the US Civil War.

(insert crack about gypsy breeding)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

My grandfather was wounded in 1918 on the Western Front - he was in a machine gun battalion of (I think) the 1st infantry division.  He eventually was one of the first people successfully to have most of one lung resected due to (again, I think, the effects of gas).

He lived until 1967 when I was a year and a half old.

My family also has long generation times - he was born in the 19th century, my brother's youngest were born in the 21st century.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 07:59:03 PM

Mono was talking about the specific cause of death.  I.e. high explosive to head.  I found that unusual as well.  There are usually records of type of wound suffered, but I've never seen anything about type of weapon used to kill someone.  At least nothing systematic.

No that wasn't in the records, it was the story in the family. How they learned it I have no idea, but probably from a returning friend, as these reservist divisions had people from the same area.

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on May 18, 2015, 08:02:47 PM

Well he was 43 :p my other two ww1 veteran family members were great-grandpas, so this guy was sort of the exception generationally I guess.