ISFP
1 (3.1%)
ESTP
1 (3.1%)
ESFP
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Brazen

EFSP. Not what I was expecting, but I suppose I did become a journalist to be Slightly Famous On The Internet.

Gups

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on May 19, 2015, 09:37:29 AM
EFSP. Not what I was expecting, but I suppose I did become a journalist to be Slightly Famous On The Internet.

And accounts for the transposition error? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 19, 2015, 08:51:56 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 07:06:55 AM
Not sure how the fact that there are different methodologies to determine the same thing somehow invalidates the underlying measure system.

I am unaware of any methodology for M-B other than the multiple-choice question one. 

QuoteThe test predicts strength and weakness, in particular from a professional and inter-personal perspective, with a useful level of accuracy. I suspect it assumes that the native is relatively mentally stable so that his or her natural response tendencies are not distorted by psychological disorders, though.

Correct.  The test isn't a diagnostic tool, it is a generalized "character sorter" that uses the similarities and differences between the 16 archetypes as a practical, if imperfect, measuring stick.  As you note, it does seem to possess a useful level of accuracy.

My only issue would be that if this particular iteration of the test has a useful level of accuracy, it would suggest that I've adopted a whole new personality. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Correct.  The test isn't a diagnostic tool, it is a generalized "character sorter" that uses the similarities and differences between the 16 archetypes as a practical, if imperfect, measuring stick.  As you note, it does seem to possess a useful level of accuracy.

Sort of like a horoscope.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 19, 2015, 11:28:22 AM

Sort of like a horoscope.

Short answer: no.

Long answer (not for Languish): kinda, but then a horoscope is actually a relatively accurate early psychological tool provided that certain caveats and reservations are made, the nature of which I will not get into, this being Languish and all.

Razgovory

Unfortunately it is very much like a horoscope.  If you were to give one these tests to say a group of 12 year old, does it have any predictive qualities?  No.  Most of the results are couched in vague positives, very much like a horoscope.  The test is popular amongst laymen for precisely this reason, it's flattering and vague.  The tests themselves ( of which I've seen many variants) often give contradictory results.  This shouldn't happen.  There are serious psychological tests, but they aren't as popular on the internet or Human Resources.  Things like the MMPI have mechanism to spot dishonest answers, unlike this test. Unfortunately it's a really long fucking test with hundreds of questions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2015, 11:10:36 AM

My only issue would be that if this particular iteration of the test has a useful level of accuracy, it would suggest that I've adopted a whole new personality. :hmm:

Useful accuracy doesn't mean complete accuracy.  If you are closer to the line dividing two archetypes then a few different answers would change your category.  that wouldn't mean treating tyou like you were in the other category would suddenly be bad, because you'd be close to being more interested in, say judgement, even if this time you seemed were slightly more interested in perception.

The test isn't telling you what personality you've adopted, it is telling your co-workers what approaches and rewards worked best in dealing with you. 

The archetypes are the extremes, not the exemplars.  Like most extremes, they are pretty much purely theoretical, except in cases involving pathology.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I agree with grumbler. I think DISC is probably more useful in work situations as it is simpler to remember, though.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 21, 2015, 01:07:37 PM
I agree with grumbler. I think DISC is probably more useful in work situations as it is simpler to remember, though.

M-B works better as a fad, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2015, 01:08:40 PM

M-B works better as a fad, though.

True. That being said, DISC was great for me in adjusting my style at work. We had a workshop with a psychologist/coach and I found out I am dominant D and I shouldn't consider those who aren't morons. :P

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 21, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2015, 11:10:36 AM

Useful accuracy doesn't mean complete accuracy.  If you are closer to the line dividing two archetypes then a few different answers would change your category.  that wouldn't mean treating tyou like you were in the other category would suddenly be bad, because you'd be close to being more interested in, say judgement, even if this time you seemed were slightly more interested in perception.

The test isn't telling you what personality you've adopted, it is telling your co-workers what approaches and rewards worked best in dealing with you. 

The archetypes are the extremes, not the exemplars.  Like most extremes, they are pretty much purely theoretical, except in cases involving pathology.

Wouldn't that suggest then that I am on the borderline in every single dichotomy given that my most recent result was the opposing one on each of the 4 groupings? Not sure if that would help my colleagues know the best approaches to take with me. :D

Razgovory

I am not familiar with DISC.  What is it?

Valmy

Dominant-Influential-Steady-Compliant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."