ESTP
1 (3.1%)
ESFP
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2015, 10:55:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
I think Myers-Briggs is junk science, personally.
I hear this view often, but I've never heard a convincing debunking of it that didn't sound like junk science itself.  From what I know about it (not much), it doesn't claim any biological causation behind the model, it's just a way to cluster observed personality types into categories.  I don't see what's so junky about such an approach, assuming that the resulting personality types are predictive of certain quantities of interest.

This. The types are mainly useful for therapists as they allow them to home in on certain defining qualities of a person's psychological profile and screen out the background noise so to speak.

Martinus

Also, not surprised we have so many INTP / INTJ despite the fact that they are rather rare in the general populace (especially INTJs). They are the classic "nerd" profile.

Josquius

I am a bit surprised about there being so many intps. Though it is always the case when this question comes up on the internet. Intps don't do the debate game.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Norgy on May 18, 2015, 05:58:31 PM
I am an INTJ. I've become more and more introverted.

Same. I usually score well over 90% on the "I".

Martinus

Like BB, I oscillate between ENTJ and INTJ - i.e. between asshole and nerd. :P

Syt

I did the test on Truity: http://www.truity.com/view/types

It tells me that I'm in the middle between INTP and INFP.

I've come to the conclusion that this must mean I have neither feelings nor thoughts, making me a thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

I did the test in university.  The woman who conducted the test said that she was not surprised that half the class were ISTJs, as it was a business class. 

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2015, 05:18:01 AM
I did the test in university.  The woman who conducted the test said that she was not surprised that half the class were ISTJs, as it was a business class.

I would say ENTJ and ESTJ would be the entrepreneurial types. ISTJ sounds like someone who would feel at home in acturial profession.

But maybe "business" means something else in China.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 05:32:35 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 19, 2015, 05:18:01 AM

I would say ENTJ and ESTJ would be the entrepreneurial types. ISTJ sounds like someone who would feel at home in acturial profession.

But maybe "business" means something else in China.

I went to university in Vancouver.  I think ISTJs are the office drones. 

Martinus

Oh yeah, corporate people definitely - ENTJ are more "thinking outside of the box", "my way or high way", "cut corners" types - much more common in business than in corporations.

For example, I am ENTJ and I hate following procedures, filling in forms and the like. I'm much better at strategic planning and then having my P.A. implement the details.

Solmyr

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2015, 10:55:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
I think Myers-Briggs is junk science, personally.
I hear this view often, but I've never heard a convincing debunking of it that didn't sound like junk science itself.  From what I know about it (not much), it doesn't claim any biological causation behind the model, it's just a way to cluster observed personality types into categories.  I don't see what's so junky about such an approach, assuming that the resulting personality types are predictive of certain quantities of interest.

Methodology tends to be wildly different from test to test, and what exactly does the test predict?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Not sure how the fact that there are different methodologies to determine the same thing somehow invalidates the underlying measure system.

The test predicts strength and weakness, in particular from a professional and inter-personal perspective, with a useful level of accuracy. I suspect it assumes that the native is relatively mentally stable so that his or her natural response tendencies are not distorted by psychological disorders, though.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 07:06:55 AM
Not sure how the fact that there are different methodologies to determine the same thing somehow invalidates the underlying measure system.

I am unaware of any methodology for M-B other than the multiple-choice question one. 

QuoteThe test predicts strength and weakness, in particular from a professional and inter-personal perspective, with a useful level of accuracy. I suspect it assumes that the native is relatively mentally stable so that his or her natural response tendencies are not distorted by psychological disorders, though.

Correct.  The test isn't a diagnostic tool, it is a generalized "character sorter" that uses the similarities and differences between the 16 archetypes as a practical, if imperfect, measuring stick.  As you note, it does seem to possess a useful level of accuracy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 03:00:14 AM
Like BB, I oscillate between ENTJ and INTJ - i.e. between asshole and nerd. :P

Just an asshole. Non bleached.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive