Shell internal document acknowledged a global temperature rise of 4C

Started by jimmy olsen, May 17, 2015, 11:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

A classmate of mine from the Kennedy school went on to get a degree at UBC in forestry or environmentalism or something like that.  He told me that when he started talking about things such as Norgy mentioned people would say "oh, you're one of those pay to pollute guys."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 07:03:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:05:03 AM
Are you so dumb that you think it is not in an interest of a supplier to increase demand for its own product? It's like saying McDonald's has no vested interest in peddling junk, unhealthy food to people, because the company does not eat the burgers.

It's generally a good idea to understand an issue before you start tossing out insults.

Are you saying I should read the article before responding to comments on it?

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2015, 10:45:28 AM
This sounds like the routine ZOMG THE US IS PLANNING TO INVADE SWITZERLAND!!!! headlines you see every few years when some reporter notes that the US military has some plan stuffed in some file somewhere for, well, invading Switzerland.

Absolutely. It's just contingency planning.

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2015, 08:56:44 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 07:03:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:05:03 AM
Are you so dumb that you think it is not in an interest of a supplier to increase demand for its own product? It's like saying McDonald's has no vested interest in peddling junk, unhealthy food to people, because the company does not eat the burgers.

It's generally a good idea to understand an issue before you start tossing out insults.

I don't even understand the article.  It's sort of all over the place.

I think it's sort of all over the place because it seems to have been patched together with plenty of tidbits from here and there, as it mixes several themes. It does point out that the document they cry wolf about is a scenario and not a prediction, though:

QuoteShell declined to comment formally on the New Lens scenarios but oil industry experts said they were not meant to be a business blueprint. Instead, they represent "plausible assumptions and quantification" designed to make executives consider events that may be only remotely possible. The expert added: "Scenarios are not intended to be predictions of likely future events or outcomes."

Admiral Yi

I don't see how it makes any difference whether it's a scenario or a prediction.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2015, 10:45:28 AM
This sounds like the routine ZOMG THE US IS PLANNING TO INVADE SWITZERLAND!!!! headlines you see every few years when some reporter notes that the US military has some plan stuffed in some file somewhere for, well, invading Switzerland.

My all-time fave was the "Hague Invasion Act" from a few years ago.  That was some good fun on EUOT.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 10:54:21 AM
I don't see how it makes any difference whether it's a scenario or a prediction.

If it's an scenario it can be argued that it's wishful thinking. If it's a prediction then they had to think that it was a realistic possibility, and that undermines their public commitment to the fight against climate change.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2015, 11:18:53 AM
If it's an scenario it can be argued that it's wishful thinking. If it's a prediction then they had to think that it was a realistic possibility, and that undermines their public commitment to the fight against climate change.

I don't see the connection. 

They are doing what they are doing, i.e moving from oil to gas.  Either that shows commitment or it doesn't.

A prediction based on what the world as a whole will do doesn't change that.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 11:28:53 AM
I don't see the connection. 

They are doing what they are doing, i.e moving from oil to gas.  Either that shows commitment or it doesn't.

A prediction based on what the world as a whole will do doesn't change that.

Commitment is about a state of mind, not an isolated action.  If the company believes that the current course of action will result in catastrophe for many on the planet, their current actions show no particular commitment to anything but short-term profit.   
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I'm concerned about global warming as the next guy, but we can't just say "no more using fossil fuels".  Creating mass starvation and and instability is not a good way to prevent mass starvation and instability caused by global warming.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2015, 11:46:32 AM\
Commitment is about a state of mind, not an isolated action.  If the company believes that the current course of action will result in catastrophe for many on the planet, their current actions show no particular commitment to anything but short-term profit.

Which action in particular?
Looking at the article, these are the current actions it ascribes to Shell:

1) "the group has accepted a shareholder resolution demanding more transparency about the group's impact on climate change."

2). "Ben van Beurden, the Shell chief executive, has repeatedly stated that the fossil fuel giant is a responsible company that fully accepts the need to counter manmade global warming, has campaigned for a tax on greenhouse gas emissions, and is moving its focus from oil to cleaner fuels such as gas."

3) "the BG takeover would expand its presence in controversial deep-water activities – many of the planet's untapped fossil fuel resources are now in ocean regions that are difficult to access – but said it would also increase its presence in liquefied natural gas, a cleaner fossil fuel than oil"

Of those, only (3) could arguably be motivated by short-term profit; but at worst it is a neutral event - shifting a set of assets from one holder to another.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Given the 4 degree rise in temperature, those "untapped fossil fuel resources" will soon be quite a bit more accessible. Like Greenland and the Arctic.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2015, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2015, 11:46:32 AM\

Which action in particular?
Looking at the article, these are the current actions it ascribes to Shell:

1) "the group has accepted a shareholder resolution demanding more transparency about the group's impact on climate change."

2). "Ben van Beurden, the Shell chief executive, has repeatedly stated that the fossil fuel giant is a responsible company that fully accepts the need to counter manmade global warming, has campaigned for a tax on greenhouse gas emissions, and is moving its focus from oil to cleaner fuels such as gas."

3) "the BG takeover would expand its presence in controversial deep-water activities – many of the planet's untapped fossil fuel resources are now in ocean regions that are difficult to access – but said it would also increase its presence in liquefied natural gas, a cleaner fossil fuel than oil"

Of those, only (3) could arguably be motivated by short-term profit; but at worst it is a neutral event - shifting a set of assets from one holder to another.

Sorry, I should have said the course of action to which Yi referred.  I wasn't actually meaning to talking about any specific course of action, though it read that way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive