Shell internal document acknowledged a global temperature rise of 4C

Started by jimmy olsen, May 17, 2015, 11:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 18, 2015, 04:08:29 AM
It is an interesting campaign..........let's try and stop Shell from producing oil and leave the business to those nice Russians and Saudis  :hmm: :huh:

Sometimes it is awfully tempting to think most of these green organisations are Russian agents because their agenda in Europe seems to be increasing Russian marketshares in the energy sector through fire and blood if need be.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 02:44:03 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 18, 2015, 01:38:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:32:40 AM
I really look forward to your retirement, when after lifetime of slaving away at the office you decide you have nothing to live for - no passion, no accomplishment, not even kids.

It does feel a bit strange for you to tell me that not having kids is somehow a problem  :P

Not having anything in life, other than collecting money for retirement, is a problem. I may be wrong in this about you, but at least that's the persona you have been consistently projecting on this forum - i.e. that you have nothing that you are passionate about, other than watching your retirement fund grow. I can only imagine how empty your life will be the day after you retire.

Ironic post of the month?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

I found the logical solution to peak oil. Obviously I'd combine it with a time machine to speed the process up.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:05:03 AM
Are you so dumb that you think it is not in an interest of a supplier to increase demand for its own product? It's like saying McDonald's has no vested interest in peddling junk, unhealthy food to people, because the company does not eat the burgers.

It's generally a good idea to understand an issue before you start tossing out insults.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:32:40 AM
I really look forward to your retirement, when after lifetime of slaving away at the office you decide you have nothing to live for - no passion, no accomplishment, not even kids.

Or alternatively, you could change the subject and hope no one notices.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2015, 11:07:11 PM
This article makes no fucking sense.

As someone concerned about climate change, I am often dismayed by how goddamn nonsensical the arguments of even moderate environmentalists are.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

Quote from: Warspite on May 18, 2015, 07:23:57 AM

As someone concerned about climate change, I am often dismayed by how goddamn nonsensical the arguments of even moderate environmentalists are.

No shit. It is ridiculous how stupid they can be - anyone who thinks the solution to climate change is political or social pressure on oil producers is just obtuse.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Agreed.  What is worse, though, is that at this point calling them on their bullshit gets you labelled a "denier".

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 07:03:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 01:05:03 AM
Are you so dumb that you think it is not in an interest of a supplier to increase demand for its own product? It's like saying McDonald's has no vested interest in peddling junk, unhealthy food to people, because the company does not eat the burgers.

It's generally a good idea to understand an issue before you start tossing out insults.

I don't even understand the article.  It's sort of all over the place.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2015, 08:56:44 AM
I don't even understand the article.  It's sort of all over the place.

Memo leaks which says Shell expects temperature to rise 4 degrees.

Retardo-greens get angry at Shell for trying to raise temperature 4 degrees.

Norgy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 18, 2015, 04:08:29 AM
It is an interesting campaign..........let's try and stop Shell from producing oil and leave the business to those nice Russians and Saudis  :hmm: :huh:

Well, that really is the gist of it, isn't it. If say Scotland/the UK and Norway stopped pumping oil out of the bottom of the sea, the business would enrich Russia and certain states most aren't comfortable with supporting financially, and which again support some fairly unlikeable organisations.

I'd say it's a dilemma, despite it destroying all my "green" credentials.

I'd also say that pulling out of coal might be a better start than dumping oil and gas right away. There's an enormous hunger for energy in the world. Not all countries have the potential for hydro-electric power (which in itself leaves huge scars in the terrain), nor do everyone have the ability to make solar power work or be cost-efficient. The lower oil price today will continue to make oil and gas more cost-efficient than a lot of other energy sources, and unless the entire market economy is brought down tomorrow, consumers will choose based on price. Because electricity, for instance, is something that's hard to provide with better quality than other providers.

celedhring

I can contribute a bit here; I work for a guy that used to work for Shell doing just that - scenario planning (my secondary job is collaborating with a business school). Shell does shedloads of these scenarios, and they are not "forecasts", not at all. One of the things they always say upfront is that they are NOT forecasts. As a company they are devoted to design differing - but feasible - scenarios and see how the company should react if those came to pass, in order to be prepared, or to extract changes/improvements in how they operate that can be applied right now. This can't be read as "SHELL EXPECTS GLOBAL WARMING TO GET WORSE AND ISN'T TELLING ANYONE!!!"

The way they work, - they make sets of scenarios to cover all bases, not a single one - there are probably alternative scenarios where there's less gloom and doom - but those don't make for a sensational headline.

Norgy

I noticed the UK have "Greens" as well now. In Norway, the Green Party wants to eliminate oil production from day one. Their other policies are non-existent.

Personally, I tend to look to NGOs with enough clout to get financial support for their papers. Norway's ZERO (for zero emissions) is actually quite good. They acknowledge that climate change is real, and that we have to act, but unlike a lot of other greens they see a shift towards renewables rather than going back to the 18th century and eat gruel. In Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Canada, the US, there are forests that can both act as CO2 containers and be exploited the same way as we use non-renewable sources like oil now, given the technology available for refining wood pulp.

Berkut

This sounds like the routine ZOMG THE US IS PLANNING TO INVADE SWITZERLAND!!!! headlines you see every few years when some reporter notes that the US military has some plan stuffed in some file somewhere for, well, invading Switzerland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned