Columbia students claim Greek mythology needs a trigger warning

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2015, 07:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

The Larch

It has to be taken into account that in the article several academics and people from that world are also harsh critics of trigger warnings and consider them ridiculous nowadays, so I'd say that they're far from being prevalent.

MadImmortalMan

I think they're more a form of internet snark than anything. Like in-group slang. I'm not really taking it that seriously at this point.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I don't get the impression that the Columbia Multicultural Advisory Committee think they're engaging in an internet snark.

Caliga

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 19, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
CATVLLUS XVI

Trigger warning! For real, for once?
I actually read Catullus in Latin in college and in our Loeb Library copy of Catullus, that poem was present but very heavily censored.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2015, 08:37:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 19, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
CATVLLUS XVI

Trigger warning! For real, for once?
I actually read Catullus in Latin in college and in our Loeb Library copy of Catullus, that poem was present but very heavily censored.

The original Latin or an English translation? Maybe a trigger warning would have been better than censorphip then.  :hmm: