Columbia students claim Greek mythology needs a trigger warning

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2015, 07:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Kleves on May 19, 2015, 08:18:35 AM
Sure, it is easy to have contempt for these people.
Very.  Alas, since they are the equivalent of Interweb trolls they only feed off of it.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2015, 07:22:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2015, 07:16:39 AM
That's easy to say, but in 20 years these people will run our media, politics and academia. It is going to be a bleak world.

I think that's a bit of a stretch from four students who wrote an op-ed. :P

Yeah, that'd be like judging the historical gaming community based on a languish thread dogpile by cC, Raz, Grallon, and Marti. Every community has its fringe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on May 19, 2015, 09:20:10 AM
Heaven forfend they study Oedipus.

Or, say, Russian literature. There aren't enough trigger warnings in the world.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2015, 08:14:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 19, 2015, 07:43:19 AM
I kinda get the idea most law firms will expect them to put their big girl (or boy) pants on and deal.

Heh, I simply assume most people spounting this sort of nonsense are simply doing it to capitalize on the attention-getting properties of the flavour of the academic moment - that in five-ten years, these same people (or some of them at least) will be young Gordon Gekkos, if they go into business or law.  ;)
Correct.  Hell, in Ovid's time they understood that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

I've never been terribly sanguine about trigger warnings, but a unanimous condemnation from this den of woman-haters and racists is making me reconsider.

So what Valmy said.  Naturally, I'd be far more supportive of trigger warnings (which aren't as bad or censorious as you rightists make out anyway) if they ever came up in subjects anyone actually needs to learn, rather than the tax-funded hobbyism of the upper-class and angry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Pedrito

Quote"Alerts have been applied to topics as diverse as sex, pregnancy, addiction, bullying, suicide, sizeism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, slut shaming, victim-blaming, alcohol, blood, insects, small holes, and animals in wigs,"

:lmfao: :blink: :frusty:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 19, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
I've never been terribly sanguine about trigger warnings, but a unanimous condemnation from this den of woman-haters and racists is making me reconsider.

So what Valmy said.  Naturally, I'd be far more supportive of trigger warnings (which aren't as bad or censorious as you rightists make out anyway) if they ever came up in subjects anyone actually needs to learn, rather than the tax-funded hobbyism of the upper-class and angry.

But they basically always come up in ridiculous places.  Also, the world is not a nice place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 19, 2015, 03:41:59 PM

By that logic, have you started thinking about joining ISIS?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2015, 04:26:55 PM

But they basically always come up in ridiculous places.  Also, the world is not a nice place.

It's not a nice place, which is why it's essentially impossible to shield a person from exposure to any particular topic in real life. I can understand someone being unable to handle discussing something related to a traumatic event they experienced or something like that. Those people need someone to help them. Not warning labels all over everything that might contain information to which they are sensitive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson