News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hong Kong keeps Kyuss out of the US

Started by Razgovory, May 16, 2015, 12:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

QuoteHong Kong (CNN)Wendy Morrow, who was seven months pregnant, was ready to board the plane at the Hong Kong International Airport to visit her brother in Xiamen, China, but moments before she got to the gate -- her water broke.

Soon she found herself facing an unlikely predicament. With her U.S. health insurance not covering the mounting medical fees her newborn son requires, the hospital had initially withheld his birth certificate.

And without a birth certificate, the U.S. embassy cannot issue a passport for baby Kyuss to return home to Iowa. The baby's mother said they were told that they couldn't get the birth certificate until the hospital bill was paid in full.

Since the baby was born on May 7, the family has been stuck in Hong Kong. But on Friday, they received word that the hospital would issue a birth certificate for Kyuss on Saturday after receiving media attention.

"I cannot believe the hospital just called us and said they are releasing the birth certificate to us now!" Sara Morrow, the mother's sister told CNN in an email.

Kyuss, who was born 8 weeks early, now lies in an incubator in the special care unit at Princess Margaret Hospital. When he was born, his lungs were underdeveloped and he needed to be hooked to an oxygen tank

"We don't like having the feeling of being stuck here. The pressure is on trying to get the medical bills paid and we just want to be able to go home with the baby," Morrow said.

CNN reached out to the hospital multiple times. Its spokesperson said they were working on an official statement, but it had not been sent by the time of publication.

Costly medical bills

With Kyuss receiving special medical care, the hospital bill has gone up to $20,000 and counting since he was admitted. Each day that he spends in the hospital costs another $1,600, according to Morrow.

The family reached out to the Congressman Steve King's office in the state of Iowa, who wrote to them in an email saying that Medicare/Medicaid health insurance would not be able to pay medical bills resulting from treatment in foreign hospitals.

One of their travel insurances would not cover it either because the baby was not named on the insurance -- something that the family finds to be baffling.

"How could we have put (his name) on it when the baby wasn't even born?" Morrow said.

U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, told them in an email that his office would try to make an inquiry on the case.

In the meantime, the family has set up multiple fundraisers for medical expenses and additional costs related to their unplanned stay in Hong Kong.

Kyuss is slowly getting stronger, and doctors have told the family that he can be released in a week, and would be fit for flying. Doctors recommended that it would be best if a medical nurse could fly with them, along with a battery-operated oxygen machine in case he had trouble breathing in high altitudes.

Separated from their families, the only thing the Morrows say they can do, is wait.

"It's hard for both of us," Morrow said. "Wendy has a 4-year-old at home...I have four kids at home and we both run our own businesses."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/asia/hong-kong-us-mother-baby-stranded/index.html

Because I'm a nerd, I immediately thought that a woman has named her child after a D&D monster.  Kyuss was also a band (which I don't remember), and one of the members went on found Queens of the Stone Age (who I do remember, kinda) so that is slightly better, till I found out the band was also named for the D&D monster.  I'm not sure which is worse though, naming your kid after an obscure D&D monster or after a stoner band.  Still, Mono is doing is his part to keep this kid out of the US, which is probably a good thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Too many mainlanders have tried to get free medical care in HK by just appearing at public hospitals just before their babies are born.  Then leaving HK without paying their bills.  This witholding birth certificate thing is to prevent the millions of mainlanders who will come if the measure isn't there. 

Iormlund

I found getting proper trans-frontier care around the EU a pain in the ass, but I guess it could be much worse.

celedhring

I found getting proper trans-regional care around Spain a pain in the ass myself, can't imagine going abroad.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Why the hell is a woman seven months pregnant travelling overseas? I thought that flying is heavily warned against by that point.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on May 16, 2015, 06:52:32 AM
Why the hell is a woman seven months pregnant travelling overseas? I thought that flying is heavily warned against by that point.

At this point, we know three things about her:

-she was travelling overseas while 7 months pregnant
-even though she has health insurance, she showed up in a jurisdiction while pregnant where the insurance doesn't apply
-she named her kid "Kyuss"

I'm not saying she is stupid and irresponsible, but a trend is developing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Sometimes you people really depress me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Relations in China?  Sounds like keeping these people out of the civilized world is a good thing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Having to pay for being hospitalised is barbaric.

I'm legally forced to get medical insurance here but if I ever do need a doctor in going back to Britain.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2015, 04:44:10 PM

I'm legally forced to get medical insurance here but if I ever do need a doctor in going back to Britain.

Huh?  HK public hospitals are free for HK citizens like me, but they seek to recover cost from foreigners.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Otherwise us taxpayers will be subsidising the millions of foreign tourists who will come to get free healthcare.

grumbler

Everybody pays for being hospitalized.  Even doctors.   Hospitals can't stay open unless they can pay for staff, facilities, and material. The only question is how you pay.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

To uphold the sacred principle that it's better to be forced to pay taxes than to buy insurance?

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:56:12 PM

Unsurpriwsing since you have depressive tendencies.  :hug:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:56:12 PM

I'm getting a STEM degree, what more do you want from me?  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?