And we're back!

Main Menu

Post-election British Politics Megathread

Started by Tamas, May 13, 2015, 04:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 14, 2015, 07:19:51 AM
Well that would certainly explain East Euro students pwning the natives, as I have read several accounts of elementary/high school students from Hungary switching to British high schools and finding the complexity of the subjects much dumbed down.

This is what I could never get. Eastern European and Russian exchange students to the US always comment on how much easier it is over here yet their countries are so stupid. Why hasn't this academic brilliance prevented them from supporting people like Orban and Putin?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Ok can somebody give me the short version on who this guy is and why he is so destructive? Just some insignificant MP getting hype because he says outrageous populist things?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 08:00:59 AM
Well that would certainly explain East Euro students pwning the natives, as I have read several accounts of elementary/high school students from Hungary switching to British high schools and finding the complexity of the subjects much dumbed down.

This is what I could never get. Eastern European and Russian exchange students to the US always comment on how much easier it is over here yet their countries are so stupid. Why hasn't this academic brilliance prevented them from supporting people like Orban and Putin?

Huh?  Academic excellence and politics are two totally different things.  I went to university in Canada, and I also found the Canadian curriculum easier and less stressful than HK's (as in, failing a subject does not mean automatic expulsion from the university? Wow).  Politics has nothing to do with it.  I keep my head down and make a living regardless of who is in power.   

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 08:02:05 AM
Ok can somebody give me the short version on who this guy is and why he is so destructive? Just some insignificant MP getting hype because he says outrageous populist things?

That is my understanding yes. He wants to turn Labour into Syriza.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 14, 2015, 08:06:35 AM
Huh?  Academic excellence and politics are two totally different things.  I went to university in Canada, and I also found the Canadian curriculum easier and less stressful than HK's (as in, failing a subject does not mean automatic expulsion from the university? Wow).  Politics has nothing to do with it.  I keep my head down and make a living regardless of who is in power.   

Disagree. Education is a civic value as well as an economic one.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 08:15:18 AM

Well just because there are high demands in the education system, it doesn't mean that a) everyone lives up to them and b) it serves to create critical-thinking citizens geared toward valuing individual freedom and democracy.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 08:15:18 AM

Then the answer to your question may well be, different places have very different ideas about what education encompasses. 

Savonarola

When I was in my 20s I took some courses at the local community college.  They had a large number of immigrants, mostly from the Balkans and Easter Europe.  They would comment on how much better their secondary education was than that of the United States.  My Italian prof (an immigrant from Croatia) said that she deliberately prodded students like that; otherwise they wouldn't study and by the time they got to regular college they'd bomb out.  She said she had met a lot of immigrants who had done that and ended up managing a K-mart or something similar; but would still boast about how much better their education was than the Americans.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Richard Hakluyt

Well there it is, the more educated a European country is the poorer it is and the more inclined to fascism or communism.

Fortunately, centuries of gormless stupidity have led to our sceptred isle remaining pretty well-off and free of dictatorship  :bowler:

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 14, 2015, 08:40:04 AM
Well there it is, the more educated a European country is the poorer it is and the more inclined to fascism or communism.

That's because they focus on STEM instead of liberal arts education. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

I hear a lot of people in HK say that the western curriculum is crap and that Chinese education is a lot tougher.  I think tougher does not necessarily mean better.  The bottom line is, tons of HKers and Chinese send their children to receive a western education.  Graduates of western universities are sought after by Chinese employers.  The reverse however is not true.  Westerners almost never send their children to China to receive an education.  Maybe they go for short-term exchanges or language courses but they don't go to China to get 4-year degrees.  Why?  Because everybody knows that a western education is better.  In boosting confidence, nurturing critical thinking and problem solving skills.  These are the things that matter, not memorising more stuff than the next person.

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on August 14, 2015, 08:46:17 AM
In boosting confidence, nurturing critical thinking and problem solving skills.  These are the things that matter, not memorising more stuff than the next person.

Exactly

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2015, 08:00:59 AM

Eastern Europeans (like Asians) tend to value encyclopedic/technical knowledge over ability to think critically. We produce good engineers and poor citizens.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 14, 2015, 08:41:11 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 14, 2015, 08:40:04 AM

That's because they focus on STEM instead of liberal arts education. :)

Yup.