News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Since we're talking about what I think should happen, he should be fired from his job at the state-owned power plant and relegated to subsisting upon his guaranteed income.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2015, 05:45:23 PM
Let's rephrase my original intent to this.

Do you think this guy's being hard done by?

No. A grown man acting like he did is just bizarre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2015, 06:23:29 PM
Yes, that is the take home message that young people really have to understand.  Being stupid on social media can have significant consequences and social media is everywhere.

The world is a very different place from when you and I were young. 

As I have said repeatedly, I don't think the current situation is tenable though - the problem is that people like you are now in a position of power and indeed they are scared and surprised by this new world, which makes their reactions unreasonable. Personally, I think a new equilibrium will need to be developed, where (eventually) everybody has silly, incriminating shit on their Facebook, so this will stop mattering any more - or, alternatively, in 20 years, when today's teenagers become political leaders and CEOs, we will be ruled by Mormons, as they will be the only ones who did not do anything stupid on Facebook in their youth.

I am fairly sure which reality I'd rather prefer.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on May 12, 2015, 06:50:20 PM
Then again, as others have stated, employers don't need good cause to fire someone.

That's quite a contentious, controversial statement, presented as an assertion, with no justification given. I suspect most people in the Western world would disagree with you (given that most Western countries have laws that say otherwise).

Tonitrus

On the one hand, I tend to think much of the "internet shaming" trend is going overboard (e.g. that case not long ago regarding the young lady who Tweeted a pretty poor-taste joke before a flight, and had the internet pitchfork crowd calling for her termination before she landed)...and on the other hand, I have no pity for this particular case of overly boorish behavior getting this dude canned.

Martinus

You are quite right, Tonitrus. Once again, Clickhole offers the most accurate commentary:

QuoteJustice At Last! When This Girl Was Cyberbullied By A Classmate, The Internet Came Together And Got Her Bully To Commit Suicide!

http://www.clickhole.com/article/justice-last-when-girl-was-cyberbullied-classmate--2219

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 12:58:39 AM
Quote from: dps on May 12, 2015, 06:50:20 PM
Then again, as others have stated, employers don't need good cause to fire someone.

That's quite a contentious, controversial statement, presented as an assertion, with no justification given. I suspect most people in the Western world would disagree with you (given that most Western countries have laws that say otherwise).

Would "failure to synergistically adapt to the workplace's cohesion and support the office's team concept" work as a cause?  Because that could easily get the "guy that is good enough at his job, but nobody there likes him" fired.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 12:56:33 AM
As I have said repeatedly, I don't think the current situation is tenable though - the problem is that people like you are now in a position of power and indeed they are scared and surprised by this new world, which makes their reactions unreasonable. Personally, I think a new equilibrium will need to be developed, where (eventually) everybody has silly, incriminating shit on their Facebook, so this will stop mattering any more - or, alternatively, in 20 years, when today's teenagers become political leaders and CEOs, we will be ruled by Mormons, as they will be the only ones who did not do anything stupid on Facebook in their youth.

I am fairly sure which reality I'd rather prefer.

I have faith that our future leaders will be as good as our current ones at keeping the skeletons in the closet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

You are going to end up with a very high level of unemployment if all obnoxious wankers are fired.

Tonitrus

That's what the recycling tanks are for.  :)

Brazen

If it had happened before he got the job he'd never have got so far as an interview, so yes, sack the cockwomble. I believe several of the Chelsea fans who were identified on CCTV preventing a black man getting on the Paris Metro lost their jobs.

After a light Google I found someone who came for an interview as a military technology reporter was an anti-war protester. Not a cultural fit, I'd say. 

Richard Hakluyt

I'm wondering which of the two offences he commited are the most egregious :

(1) He is an Arsenal supporter.

(2) He used the term "fuck her in the pussy" instead of the correct "ask for anal".

:hmm:

Warspite

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 13, 2015, 04:09:33 AM
I'm wondering which of the two offences he commited are the most egregious :

(1) He is an Arsenal supporter.

:mad:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 13, 2015, 01:23:35 AM
You are going to end up with a very high level of unemployment if all obnoxious wankers are fired.

Maybe though it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to avoid planning to go on television to say vile things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2015, 04:36:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 13, 2015, 01:23:35 AM

Maybe though it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to avoid planning to go on television to say vile things.
Well, yes. I say a lot of things that could probably get me sacked in private, but I've never been idiotic enough to say them on national media.

Mind you, as I left work last night, my colleague asked "Are you coming?" to which I replied, "No, I'm just standing awkwardly."