News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

The statement, which I know is a meme, is still rather sexually aggressive and demeaning.

Are you doing everything possible to promote a safe harassment free workplace for women if you let this sort of person continue there? Putting it another way, if in a couple years time he is accused of sexual harassment, could this increase the exposure of the company if this is entered into evidence?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2015, 05:01:56 PM
The published claim is that he;s being fired for violating the Code of Conduct. However, it isn't something that actually falls within Hydro's published code of conduct, which is here:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hydroone.com%2FCareers%2FDocuments%2FCode_of_Business_Conduct.pdf&ei=TnZSVcycD8z_yQTZoIHoAg&usg=AFQjCNHDxtn88UHWrGmWBt6hGPwmPSgxWg&bvm=bv.92885102,d.aWw

See p. 11, "harrassment". It all has to do with harrassment in the workplace.

My take - assuming he's not unionized - he'll probably get notice. Of course a company can fire someone for being an asshole or embarrasing them, but it looks like they will be on the hook for notice.

I am not so sure.  A company can claim cause if the actions of the employee outside the workplace could result in reputational damage.  And this looks to be at least an arguable case.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2015, 05:01:56 PM
The published claim is that he;s being fired for violating the Code of Conduct. However, it isn't something that actually falls within Hydro's published code of conduct, which is here:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hydroone.com%2FCareers%2FDocuments%2FCode_of_Business_Conduct.pdf&ei=TnZSVcycD8z_yQTZoIHoAg&usg=AFQjCNHDxtn88UHWrGmWBt6hGPwmPSgxWg&bvm=bv.92885102,d.aWw

See p. 11, "harrassment". It all has to do with harrassment in the workplace.

My take - assuming he's not unionized - he'll probably get notice. Of course a company can fire someone for being an asshole or embarrasing them, but it looks like they will be on the hook for notice.

I am not so sure.  A company can claim cause if the actions of the employee outside the workplace could result in reputational damage.  And this looks to be at least an arguable case.

Possibly - depending on whether the employee was identified as an employee at the time of the incident, or identified as a result of the incident by the employer. A company can hardly "out" an employee itself, and then claim reputational damage as "just cause" for an identification it made itself.

I'm merely stating that the reason the employer actually gave in the article - that its code of conduct was violated - is very arguably wrong; the Code seems to only anticipater work-related harrassment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Let's rephrase my original intent to this.

Do you think this guy's being hard done by?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Josephus

I'm just glad there was no youtube when I was 20 and stupid.

EDIT: I'll retract this statement since youtube really had nothing to do with this, and there was news television back when I was 20, although social media had a lot to do with the consequences of this story
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2015, 05:45:23 PM

No, actions have consequences even when inebriated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2015, 05:47:59 PM
I'm just glad there was no youtube when I was 20 and stupid.

EDIT: I'll retract this statement since youtube really had nothing to do with this, and there was news television back when I was 20, although social media had a lot to do with the consequences of this story

Yes, that is the take home message that young people really have to understand.  Being stupid on social media can have significant consequences and social media is everywhere.

The world is a very different place from when you and I were young. 

edit: and in answer to your question about him being hard done by.  If I found out one of my employees did that I would have to be convinced it was completely out of character in order to persuade me to keep him around.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I would, but I have a NO CANUCK policy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2015, 05:45:23 PM

Let me put it this way:  The guy's an asshole, so I don't care if he loses his job.

OTOH, do I think there is good cause to fire him?  No, because his actions in this incident had nothing to do with his job--it would be way more than sufficient to be good cause if he had done the same thing at work, but that's not the case.  Then again, as others have stated, employers don't need good cause to fire someone;  barring contractual provisions to the contrary, an employer can legally fire any employee at any time for any reason other than discrimination.

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
Anything about conduct harming the company's image?

That's what I'd think were the best grounds for firing.

Anyway, fire the bastard.

Josephus

Quote from: Norgy on May 12, 2015, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
Anything about conduct harming the company's image?

That's what I'd think were the best grounds for firing.

Anyway, fire the bastard.

This coming from a guy with an avatar showing a young woman and the word Fellatio   ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2015, 06:23:29 PMIf I found out one of my employees did that I would have to be convinced it was completely out of character in order to persuade me to keep him around.

I think I would be the same way. I might sit the person down and have a chat. But this guy works in a large corporate environment. People who fired him probably never met him.
Civis Romanus Sum

Admiral Yi

Perhaps a good rule of thumb might be, if someone does something that merits a smack in the gob, he should be fired for it.