News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah and computers are dirt cheap. Consoles, on the other hand, are much more expensive than they used to be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Consoles are inherently one year behind at least when it comes to hardware.
I bought an Xbox One. Mostly to have a better media center.

If you look at the recommended hardware for most new games, the specs aren't exactly very high.

When for instance "Oblivion" was released back in 2006, almost everyone had to upgrade their computers.
And for THOSE faces.

I gave my old GTX 670 and a water-cooled I7 2600k to a friend. He can run the same games as me at medium to high settings. And I have a pretty decent rig with GTX 980s in SLI.

Queequeg

Quote from: Warspite on June 03, 2015, 12:21:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2015, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2015, 11:16:17 AM
Gonna say the trailer has left me a bit cold. It's still Fallout so I'm gonna get it no matter what, but the trailer has nothing distinctive on it bar the USS Constellation with rocket engines strapped on.

That can be a bit of an issue for Fallout.  The world they created is so distinctive, but it's hard to go and do much different with it now that it has been created.

I would like to see a Fallout game set outside the US. They could do a lot with that.

A lot of the continued existence and eventual flourishing of post-nuclear life in the Fallout Universe is the result of low-level FEV exposure.  I'm not sure that FEV would travel over a continent.  I think it'd be awesome to do something in the Pacific North West, though, or Mexico.  Like an NCR expedition to the north or south, dealing with the new post-apocalyptic political orders.  I think you could even get away with having pretty complex polities in Mexico because they presumably wouldn't have been hit as hard as the US or US-annexed Canada. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

How about some kind of Canticle-esque Hispanic neo-Catholic semi-theocracy in Sonora fighting against the idealistic, secular, muscular Midcentury Liberalism of the New California Republic?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on June 03, 2015, 02:15:54 PM
How about some kind of Canticle-esque Hispanic neo-Catholic semi-theocracy in Sonora fighting against the idealistic, secular, muscular Midcentury Liberalism of the New California Republic?

Yes, please.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Norgy

I think that's what the majority has been clamoring for.

Queequeg

Quote from: Norgy on June 03, 2015, 02:49:54 PM

I think that's what the majority has been clamoring for.

I was just throwing an idea out there.

You could also have some kind of Maoist rebel remnant in Mexico that developed in to a completely different type of society from the NCR.  I really just want the setting to return to the West Coast.  I think New Vegas was a lot better in part because the defined players were a lot more interesting there than what Bethesda came up with. The Brotherhood are dicks who keep all the tech they can, the NCR represent the best of the old world but are also clinging desperately to a way of life that might have become impossible after the birds started flying, and the Raiders of the Midwest are now developing state-level organization.  TBH if I had a problem w New Vegas it was that Caesar's Legion was too transparently the bad guys.

Queequeg

Quote from: Habbaku on June 03, 2015, 02:45:49 PM

Yes, please.
Sarcasm?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Yeah I just don't think Bethesda *gets* Fallout in some ways.  Fo3 didn't make a whole lot of sense in a lot of ways.  There weren't any governments other than an occasional town.  It looked like people were still living off looted prewar food which, what.  There weren't a lot of farms.  I don't know how any of DC survived, either . I mean, it's the capital of a state that was involved in a nuclear conflict that presumably saw a near-emptying of silos.  It should still be at a precambrian level in 400 years. 

Norgy

You do get why you are sometimes being made fun of, right?  :lol:

Don't worry, Psellus, I love your enthusiasm and rather esoteric knowledge.
In fact, I think dinner with you would probably be very interesting.

Queequeg

Fallout is something I'm very passionate about, obviously. 

Habbaku

I seem to recall that Bethesda's original intent with FO3 was that it be very near in time to the war itself, which explains all the weird Chinese transmissions/zombies and the looting of food, nevermind the fact that power was still running in way too many buildings, etc.  But then they decided to just jump the time forward by 200 years without changing anything else.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Still fucking stupif, the BoS, Enclave and Super Mutants are there.

Habbaku

Yes, it very much has a lack of consistency baked into the universe.  I can accept hand-waving of a lot of stuff, but they weren't even really trying.

-J. R. R. Tolkien