News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

My character in fallout. I still haven't run a quest that I find outstanding. So far, they are just average.

Indiana Fallout

Armored Fedora (Ballistic Weave FTW)

Special

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on March 19, 2016, 12:42:13 PM
My character in fallout. I still haven't run a quest that I find outstanding. So far, they are just average.

I kinda liked the Silver Shadow quests, and the one where you go through Kellog's memories.

But the best moment in the game has to be the arrival of the BoS.  That's probably one of my top-ten video game moments.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2016, 02:07:25 PM

I kinda liked the Silver Shadow quests, and the one where you go through Kellog's memories.

But the best moment in the game has to be the arrival of the BoS.  That's probably one of my top-ten video game moments.

I haven't done the silver shadow quests yet. The Kellogg memory piece was good.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I thought they could do more with the Memory Den.  I thought you could use to remember important things in the past, like where some treasure is stored or how to get into a certain important building.  I thought it would be fun to be able to explore the pre-nuclear world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2016, 03:52:58 PM
I thought they could do more with the Memory Den.  I thought you could use to remember important things in the past, like where some treasure is stored or how to get into a certain important building.  I thought it would be fun to be able to explore the pre-nuclear world.

I keep checking on nexus and it doesn't seem like the fo4 quest mods are in full swing yet.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on March 20, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

I keep checking on nexus and it doesn't seem like the fo4 quest mods are in full swing yet.

They haven't re;leased the GECK so all the modders can do is change existing stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on March 20, 2016, 02:07:25 PM

Agreed. Although maybe not in the top ten.

I wonder if the new DLC is anything worth buying.
The Silver Shadow quest is supposed to be easy to start, but I had to plough through the Memory Den several times to actually find the guy who did the broadcast.

I quite liked some of the Railroad quests, and BoS quests too, but the Minutemen are just plain boring.

11B4V

11B4V

Info on the new survival

mode.https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/4cwmnq/realistic_thirst_and_hunger_calculations_for/

Hello all,

While I await survival mode dropping on consoles i've been avidly reading all of your comments and stories about it. I've seen quite a bit of criticism of the hunger and thirst levels being unrealistic so I thought it'd be a bit of fun to try and figure out what the actual levels should be based on real world values. As I don't have survival yet it'd be interesting if you PC guys could see how these stack up against what you're actually experiencing. I suck at maths, so this could probably be presented a lot better but here goes.

WEIGHT
So, first off, F4 does have a quantifiable real life weight ratio. The junk weight item clearly shows that 1 unit of Fallout weight translates to 1 pound. This is important for working out stuff later.

TIMESCALE
As I don't have access to the command console I can't check this so please feel free to correct me, but from what i've read the default timescale of F4 is 20 (1 sec = 20 secs). This means that an hour of Fallout time translates to 3 minutes real time and a Fallout day lasts 72 real time minutes.

Having both of these values allows us to work out approximately how much food and water your Sole Survivor should require.

WATER
There's quite a wide disparity between different countries on recommended water intake, with European guidelines stating 2.5 litres of water per day while the IOM in America recommending 3.7 litres. For the purpose of this exercise i'll take 3 litres as a pretty good baseline to keep decently hydrated. This is assuming the Commonwealth isn't classified as a desert, where the values would be much higher.

So, 1 Purified water = 1lb.
3 litres in lbs = 6.61 bottles
72 mins/7 bottles = 10.2 mins.

Result: A male survivor needs 7 bottles of water a day, or one every 10 minutes.

FOOD
Calorie intake for adult males is recommended at 3,100 calories per day. I'm going to use the good old can of Pork 'n Beans as my baseline here. One tin of real life Heinz Beans and Sausages contains 388 calories.

3100/388 = 7.98 cans
72 mins/8 cans = 9mins

Result: A male survivor needs 8 cans of Pork 'n Beans a day or one every 9 minutes.

CONCLUSIONS/TLDR
So, according to these figures, your character should need to eat and drink something approximately every 10 minutes of game time to stay healthy and stave off thirst and hunger. This sounds about right to me for a gameplay mechanic. I've gotten the impression, from comments on here, that the game currently requires you to drink and eat significantly more than that? If so, it would seem the values are currently set too high and need a bit of rebalancing.

celedhring

3100 calories/day seems pretty out of whack. I eat less than that and I'm a quite big dude.

11B4V

Not all that far out. I would put an fo4 character extremely active.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/estimated-calorie-requirement

Norgy

You run around like crazy and hardly sleep unless a quest demands it.

Anyone tried to max out "luck"?

"Charisma" actually helped a lot.

11B4V

Preston vs Marcy

:lol:

https://youtu.be/mnDwUylsFdY

Iormlund

Quote from: Norgy on April 03, 2016, 05:51:32 PM
You run around like crazy and hardly sleep unless a quest demands it.

Anyone tried to max out "luck"?

"Charisma" actually helped a lot.

I did a luck-based build a while ago, though only for a few levels. It was a bit slow to deal with mobs, but you could unload a lot of pain on elites at any one time.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 14, 2016, 10:47:48 PM
Preston vs Marcy

:lol:

https://youtu.be/mnDwUylsFdY

:lol:  That's pretty awesome.  Though I would like to see Preston get his ass kicked as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall