News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2017, 06:02:10 PM
I believe the next planned line of ships will be French cruisers.

I am kind of amazed that they still don't have a British battleship line. That seems just silly to me.

French cruisers and destroyers can be quite interesting.  Algerie was probably the best of the Treaty Cruisers.  I'd be interested to see if they compensate for the phony trial speeds of the French (and Italians, for that matter).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I think the no HE is pretty much just a way to give them some different character.

By smoke I mean a smoke generator on the ship itself, not smoke shells.

The Neptune as written up in WoWS is a speculative design (I don't think it was ever actually built), I don't think it is meant to represent the ship Neptune itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2017, 09:11:54 PM
I think the no HE is pretty much just a way to give them some different character.

By smoke I mean a smoke generator on the ship itself, not smoke shells.

The Neptune as written up in WoWS is a speculative design (I don't think it was ever actually built), I don't think it is meant to represent the ship Neptune itself.

Ah, yes, there was a late-war cruiser design that was going to be a Neptune class.  Curious that they should precede the Minotaur/Swiftsure class on that scale.

Re: smoke.  Got it.  The Germans were the real smokers, though.  Even Bismarck was heavily laden with smoke generation gear.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

RN cruisers also get the repair party thing, which comes in pretty handy. A lot.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 08:57:59 PM
:huh:  Neptune was a Leander class cruiser.  Why would it be ranked higher than a Town class?

Pretty sure the Neptune in the game is a late-war prototype of a class that never got off the ground.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 09:48:56 PM
Ah, yes, there was a late-war cruiser design that was going to be a Neptune class.  Curious that they should precede the Minotaur/Swiftsure class on that scale.

That's because it's not the actual late-war Minotaur class but the post-war Design Z project, which would have lead to a newer Minotaur class.

grumbler

Quote from: Malicious Intent on April 02, 2017, 05:36:56 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 09:48:56 PM

That's because it's not the actual late-war Minotaur class but the post-war Design Z project, which would have lead to a newer Minotaur class.

Ummm okay.    I assume that the fantasy ships are to prepare customers for the launch of a reboot of World of Warcraft?  :P  Seems odd that the Brit tier 1 isn't close to being a cruiser (or even a destroyer) and tiers 9 and 10 are fanboi wanks, when the Brits had plenty of actual cruisers to choose from.

Are they doing this so that they can give the Nazi fanboi types their wankable ships as well?  Tier 9 and 10 are the "never built because not survivable" ships for the Brits.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

A lot of "World of" content is made up of "what ifs", g. 

I think it's to cut down on the Berkuts of the world jamming up their forums with flame wars over actual turret traverse speeds and whatnot.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2017, 12:55:01 PM

I think it's to cut down on the Berkuts of the world jamming up their forums with flame wars over actual turret traverse speeds and whatnot.

It just seems to me that, for the most part, you could easily create 10 tiers of most navies in, say, cruisers, by ending with the last "competitive" design (i.e. one that could be matched by all of the other fleets you are interested in) and then working back 10 stages until you get to around 1910, when warships started to become standardized.   Tier 1 in cruisers doesn't feature a single actual cruiser, and is mostly fantasy ships.

I suppose it is all fantasy anyways, so they can call any ship whatever they want and just rig the stats to make it competitive, but you'd think that an element of pride would want to make them at least fake some realism.

Edit:  Nevermind.  I just looked at the German battleships and saw that this is all just fantasy stuff.  I guess that sells.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, it's all arcade whacking material in the end.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2017, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2017, 12:55:01 PM

It just seems to me that, for the most part, you could easily create 10 tiers of most navies in, say, cruisers, by ending with the last "competitive" design (i.e. one that could be matched by all of the other fleets you are interested in) and then working back 10 stages until you get to around 1910, when warships started to become standardized.   Tier 1 in cruisers doesn't feature a single actual cruiser, and is mostly fantasy ships.

I suppose it is all fantasy anyways, so they can call any ship whatever they want and just rig the stats to make it competitive, but you'd think that an element of pride would want to make them at least fake some realism.

Edit:  Nevermind.  I just looked at the German battleships and saw that this is all just fantasy stuff.  I guess that sells.

Well, for some of them I don't think you CAN come up with ten reasonable ships that work without getting into fantasy. Like the German battleships.

But for others, there are plenty of options, and I am kind of lost as to why they choose "fake" ships to model after rather than real ones. There are a zillion brit cruisers, right?

Plenty of American CVs,  and plenty of IJN battleships, so why do we have the Izumo and stuff like that?

WTF do you want though, they are Russians. Shrug.

It is all theme.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: grumbler on April 02, 2017, 12:46:29 PM
Seems odd that the Brit tier 1 isn't close to being a cruiser (or even a destroyer) and tiers 9 and 10 are fanboi wanks, when the Brits had plenty of actual cruisers to choose from.

None of the Tier 1 ships are actual cruisers;  they're just patrol ship-type vessels that are there for you to learn the basics in.

QuoteAre they doing this so that they can give the Nazi fanboi types their wankable ships as well?  Tier 9 and 10 are the "never built because not survivable" ships for the Brits.

More-or-less.  Keep in mind that the American Tier 10 cruiser is the Des Moines.  What would the non-fantasy equivalent be for any other navy?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2017, 04:44:57 PM
Well, for some of them I don't think you CAN come up with ten reasonable ships that work without getting into fantasy. Like the German battleships.

Sure you can.  A couple of predreads, the five dreads, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, and a fully-kitted-out (esp radars) 1943 Tirpitz.

It's a lot easier just to create imaginary ships, though.  I can imagine it sells better to their target audience, as well.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on April 02, 2017, 05:02:28 PM
More-or-less.  Keep in mind that the American Tier 10 cruiser is the Des Moines.  What would the non-fantasy equivalent be for any other navy?

Why would you use Des Moines if the only conceivable opponents are ships you just make up? Why not stop with Baltimore/PzEugen/Later Town/Algerie/Bolzano/Kirov?  Work backwards from there.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2017, 04:44:57 PM
WTF do you want though, they are Russians. Shrug.

Pre-war Russian biplanes bringing down P-47s.  Is hilarious, no?