News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Berkut, May 08, 2015, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

There isn't...much. I generally sell them myself, but a lot of people keep all their ships forever.

Reasons to keep ships after they have been elited:

1. You just like the ship and want to play it even after you've elited it.
2. For ranked play, a season generally has set tiers it is set at. So it might be good to keep 1 ship or two of each tier you like and are good at to use for those cases where you need a good ship at a specific tier.
2b. Same reason for campaigns where you might need to complete missions in a ship of a particular tier.
3. Elite ships XP goes into a pool that can be converted (for a doubloon cost generally) to Free XP.

Myself...I never keep regular ships once I research the next one. Generally because I am too cheap, and because I usually feel like I have way more ships than I ever play anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Hey, Berkut, despite my reservations, I accepted your invite, and I've managed to grind my way to level 6.  Did you get a freebie for that?

I suck at the game, though.  And I may be the unluckiest player ever.  I got one-shotted the first time out in the Chester.  I double checked the detailed report after the battle.  Yep, only took 1 hit, and it was HE from dead ahead.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 23, 2017, 01:36:32 PM
Myself...I never keep regular ships once I research the next one. Generally because I am too cheap, and because I usually feel like I have way more ships than I ever play anyway.

Yeah, that sounds like somebody who never made it to 70 in WoW because he had nine alts in the 20s and 30s  :P

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2017, 10:35:42 PM
Hey, Berkut, despite my reservations, I accepted your invite, and I've managed to grind my way to level 6.  Did you get a freebie for that?

I suck at the game, though.  And I may be the unluckiest player ever.  I got one-shotted the first time out in the Chester.  I double checked the detailed report after the battle.  Yep, only took 1 hit, and it was HE from dead ahead.

Sounds like a detonation, which is a shitty thing.  Are you high enough level to use flags?  You should have gotten some that completely prevent it from happening after that.

Berkut

Yeah, that happens now and again. I once detonated a Iowa with my Bismarck on the first shot of the game fired at some stupidly ridiculous range. That was pretty damn funny.

But it is really rare.

The flag that reduces detonation chance by 100% is not a guarantee though. Because there are other flags that increase the chances of a detonation.

So if the base chance is 2%, and I have a +50% flag that bumps it to 3%, and you have a -100% flag, then you end back up with a net 1%. Still, for any ship over like Tier 6 or so, I run that flag all the time, as long as I have them, and I never seem to run out.

I now have more freaking camo than I think I can ever possibly use....they give that stuff out like candy.

0 rows returned

grumbler

BTW, fdor those interested in esoteric discussions of actual warships, Warships1, peobably the most knowledgable board on the topic ever, is now located at http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/forums/63.

The forum format sucks, and the discussions are often fairly rambling, but the expertise there is staggering.  Gotta love the micro-level look at tings, though.

A piece of advice though:  never post anything whatever from world of warships at warships1, unless you are in need of a new or spare asshole. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

LOL.

That would be pretty hilarious - figure out how to get some of the spazzes from the WoW forum over to discuss the historocity of the Montana's citadel armor and how it is modeled in a real grognards naval warfare forum like that.

I would pay for the popcorn...

0 rows returned

Berkut

Haven't been playing nearly as much, but I got on for some matches last night. The Tier 5-7 ships were on sale, and I had almost completed the T6 Brit cruiser Leander (nice ship) and thought I would knock that off and buy the Fiji while it was on sale, and there was the 100% first win bonus this weekend.

So I bought it and took it out for its first run. Commander not trained, completely stock.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Now I don't even want to play it any more. That is certainly going to be the best match I ever have in that ship, while it is as crappy as it will ever be - every single match after will be with a MORE capable ship, and I won't do nearly as well. :P

0 rows returned

grumbler

The Fiji class were nice ships, given that they were cost-limited and so smaller than their contemporaries (8,000 tons standard compared to almost 12,000 for the Clevelands).  It turned out to be a blessing that they couldn't get the 5.25 secondaries (4 turrets planned) and instead got the lighter but much better 4".  They had a better balance between armor and armament than the Clevelands and were not nearly so cramped and top-heavy.

It tells you a lot about the shifting threats and missions for these ships that they traded a triple 6" turret late in the war for an additional pom-pom and some light AA.

How do the little (5,000 ton) Arethusas do in this game?  They were extremely successful historically, and better cruisers than the Didos that were supposedly their improved successors.  They may be my favorite class of cruisers of all time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malicious Intent

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 04:29:58 PM
How do the little (5,000 ton) Arethusas do in this game?  They were extremely successful historically, and better cruisers than the Didos that were supposedly their improved successors.  They may be my favorite class of cruisers of all time.

Not in the game yet.

Berkut

The Brit Cruiser line is:

I: Black Swan
II: Weymouth
III: Caledon
IV: Danae
V: Emerald
VI: Leander
VII: Fiji
VIII: Edinburgh
IX: Neptune
X: Minotaur

Most are considered to be pretty crappy for their tier until you get to Leander.

Their "special" think in WoW is that they do not have HE shells, only AP, but that AP has good pen, but lower potential critical damage than most cruiser sized AP. And they carry smoke, which is mostly limited to DDs in WoWS.

0 rows returned

Berkut

I believe the next planned line of ships will be French cruisers.

I am kind of amazed that they still don't have a British battleship line. That seems just silly to me.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I'd trade the French and the Russian ships for the Italians.  But you know the Russians aren't going anywhere.  50 fucking ships for the one navy that did dog shit the entire war.  Even the French saw more action at Toulon.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2017, 06:01:34 PM
The Brit Cruiser line is:

I: Black Swan
II: Weymouth
III: Caledon
IV: Danae
V: Emerald
VI: Leander
VII: Fiji
VIII: Edinburgh
IX: Neptune
X: Minotaur

Most are considered to be pretty crappy for their tier until you get to Leander.

Their "special" think in WoW is that they do not have HE shells, only AP, but that AP has good pen, but lower potential critical damage than most cruiser sized AP. And they carry smoke, which is mostly limited to DDs in WoWS.

:huh:  Neptune was a Leander class cruiser.  Why would it be ranked higher than a Town class?

And why don't the British have HE shells in WoWS?  Is it just a gimmick rule to make them different?  And NavWeaps doesn't even have a smoke shell listed for British cruiser guns.  It's loadout list has just one ship listed for the 6-inch guns: "HMS Belfast had an outfit of 1,384 CPC, 960 HE, 474 Practice and 44 Drill for a total of 2,862 projectiles."  For the Counties, it notes that "Outfits were mainly SAPC with 20 rounds of HE per gun."

I suppose it makes for conversation.

Bayraktar!