News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europeans, Pacificsm and Desertion

Started by jimmy olsen, June 20, 2009, 02:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2009, 03:23:34 PM
Yes, but desertion is the logical way out of both.
But the moral component is different.

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 20, 2009, 03:18:03 PM
Tim expects you to die in an orderly way.

My people were born to steal.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2009, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2009, 03:23:34 PM
Yes, but desertion is the logical way out of both.
But the moral component is different.

At the end of the day, is self preservation both ways. Either not wanting to die for something you don't believe in/are against to or not wanting to die in a boneheaded operation with no chance or survival. Yes, morals are different, but the bottom line is not wanting to die for something you don't see a meaning to.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

QuoteWhat should we make of this practice of immortalizing deserters? Morally speaking, it is a complicated matter. World War I was in many respects a dubious enterprise, and those who desert from unjust wars might correctly be regarded with sympathy. The issue grows murkier, however, when an admiration for deserters from particular wars bleeds into an admiration for desertion as a general practice. There is reason to worry that this is precisely what is happening--to fear that the monuments in Belgium and Britain are symptoms of European attitudes toward not just World War I soldiers but toward all soldiers, even those who fight in just causes. And, if that is true, one might well ask: Can a society that valorizes its deserters long survive?

:ike:

Yes, we should worry about this problem. For it is huge.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2009, 03:37:24 PM
QuoteWhat should we make of this practice of immortalizing deserters? Morally speaking, it is a complicated matter. World War I was in many respects a dubious enterprise, and those who desert from unjust wars might correctly be regarded with sympathy. The issue grows murkier, however, when an admiration for deserters from particular wars bleeds into an admiration for desertion as a general practice. There is reason to worry that this is precisely what is happening--to fear that the monuments in Belgium and Britain are symptoms of European attitudes toward not just World War I soldiers but toward all soldiers, even those who fight in just causes. And, if that is true, one might well ask: Can a society that valorizes its deserters long survive?

Would you shut the fuck up? You're not funny. Man-child.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Quote from: Jaron on June 20, 2009, 03:38:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2009, 03:37:24 PM

Would you shut the fuck up? You're not funny. Man-child.

You are fickle and prone to mood swings. :(

Warspite

It is disappointing that, given such a fascinating subject, the author chooses to bang a political 'euroweeinie' drum. No real mention of the incredible psychological trauma these men went through. No discussion of the real issue of the fact that some men, decent a godfearing, simply cannot cope with the terrible circumstances they find themselves in. Do you think the conscript asked to be in the hell of the trenches?

Of course people like Tim, whose experience of war is limited to a computer screen may find it disgusting to remember those who were caught in the madness and were found wanting. And perhaps Mr Oren could try to undestand why the Germans have a pacifist attitude pretty much by design.

Of course his point about Afghanistan is odd considering the contributions in blood of the British, Dutch and others.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Oren means impure in Swedish. I rest my case.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on June 20, 2009, 03:35:42 PM
At the end of the day, is self preservation both ways. Either not wanting to die for something you don't believe in/are against to or not wanting to die in a boneheaded operation with no chance or survival. Yes, morals are different, but the bottom line is not wanting to die for something you don't see a meaning to.
Self preservation is not a terribly praise-worthy motivation.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Warspite on June 20, 2009, 03:41:57 PM

Of course people like Tim, whose experience of war is limited to a computer screen
What a shameless cheapshot! :o
I have also watched movies and read books on the subject. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I will trust Siege on this like I do an all matters of war.

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2009, 03:45:25 PM

Neither is the quest for self annihilation :p
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2009, 03:45:25 PM

It's the most basic motivation of any animal, human or not, it's a primitive and indispensable instinct for survival, and people have been vilified for abiding to it.

Lettow77

Ive seen paths of glory, and I still think this is disgraceful. It's just not fitting to honour cowards. Why not honour war profiteers or those who were deliberately wounded to go home, while your at it?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'