Former GDR top brass slam US-NATO policy, anti-Russian rhetoric in open letter

Started by Syt, May 07, 2015, 03:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 07, 2015, 04:26:21 PM
...Also, they had 170,000+ troops for most of their history...

Which makes it rather odd that they are bitching that the current German Army, the same size army as they oversaw, represents an "intensive militarization of Europe."  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2015, 03:06:14 AM
QuoteFormer German generals pointed to NATO's "intensive militarization of Europe" saying that war "has returned" to the continent.

Stuff printed in RT is so insane you just...are left speechless. I wonder if this is what it felt like to sane people back in the 30s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 08:40:26 AM
QuoteFormer German generals pointed to NATO's "intensive militarization of Europe" saying that war "has returned" to the continent.

Stuff printed in RT is so insane you just...are left speechless. I wonder if this is what it felt like to sane people back in the 30s.

Heh, it's a good point.

Thing is, in the 30s there was insanity on all sides, the left/right thing was strongly binary here in thw West - lots of people thought the Nazis made good points, and plenty of folks who hated the Nazis thought that Stalin was A-Okay; guys like Orwell were, seemingly, in a minority.

In contrast, present day Russian nonsense simply has less traction outside of Russia. As time goes on, it has increasingly less. When the whole Ukraine thing first came to people's attention, there was an initial move by hardcore left types to support Russia's claims and to actually buy into 'Ukraine is run by Fascists installed by the West', fueled by a veritable army of Russian internet trolls; as time goes on, this line of thinking has died down a lot, only true fanatics could possibly buy into that now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Former NVA officers (with a handful of exceptions) had and continue to have a hard time dealing with reality.  This book does a pretty good job getting into their heads.  Author rambles a bit at times but it's otherwise a good read: http://www.amazon.com/Fallen-Elites-Military-Unification-Germany/dp/0804773963
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2015, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 08:40:26 AM

Heh, it's a good point.

Thing is, in the 30s there was insanity on all sides, the left/right thing was strongly binary here in thw West - lots of people thought the Nazis made good points, and plenty of folks who hated the Nazis thought that Stalin was A-Okay; guys like Orwell were, seemingly, in a minority.

In contrast, present day Russian nonsense simply has less traction outside of Russia. As time goes on, it has increasingly less. When the whole Ukraine thing first came to people's attention, there was an initial move by hardcore left types to support Russia's claims and to actually buy into 'Ukraine is run by Fascists installed by the West', fueled by a veritable army of Russian internet trolls; as time goes on, this line of thinking has died down a lot, only true fanatics could possibly buy into that now.

Orwell only got that way after his own side tried to kill him!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017