News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Not Utopia?

Started by Sheilbh, April 24, 2015, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Marx didn't really contribute anything to economics as such; he was essentially a Ricardian who got confused with algebra.  His theories of historical evolution are really political theory (using present day academic categories).  I suppose he could be seen as a contributor to what eventually becomes public choice theory.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I'm not sure why, but I'm mildly fascinated by Trotsky and find him to be an interesting writer.  But yesterday I stumbled across this piece he wrote in 1934 about how perfectly communism would work in the US.  Just... wow.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1934/08/ame.htm
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
I'm not sure why, but I'm mildly fascinated by Trotsky and find him to be an interesting writer.  But yesterday I stumbled across this piece he wrote in 1934 about how perfectly communism would work in the US.  Just... wow.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1934/08/ame.htm

QuoteOne final prophecy: in the 3rd year of the Soviet rule in America you will no longer chew gum!

Well, that's oddly specific.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

The American People's Eugenics Department will purify the race. Fear not!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."