Woman to become N.Y. firefighter despite failing crucial fitness test

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2015, 04:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2015, 07:19:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 07:13:49 AM
SJW! Political correctness gone mad! So on and so forth.

But seriously this is the sort of thing that just cannot be done even in the name of diversity...presuming the article is accurate.

I agree, but to be devil's advocate, it would require looking at the test in question. Does it represent reasonable requirements for what firefighters should be capable of? Or has the bar been raised with the intention of keeping women, who in general will be physically weaker than men, out? Also, is this used uniformly? I.e. do employed firefighters have to re-do this test regularly, and what happens when they can't make it anymore, e.g. due to age or too many donuts?
just like in the army, they have physical evaluation to pass, and when they fail, they need to train harder and retake it.  I don't think there's an automatic suspension for the first failure of a general fitness test, but if you can't get back in shape, you are assigned to a desk job or forced to retire.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

No females (of the 29 participating) passed the Marine Infantry Officer Course this past month.  So naturally DoD is putting pressure on the Marines to lower the standards. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 09:10:54 AM
No females (of the 29 participating) passed the Marine Infantry Officer Course this past month.  So naturally DoD is putting pressure on the Marines to lower the standards.

Chicks.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Legbiter

Just create an admin position for her when she fails on the job.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 07:13:49 AM
SJW! Political correctness gone mad! So on and so forth.

But seriously this is the sort of thing that just cannot be done even in the name of diversity...presuming the article is accurate.

Funny remember having this debate with my ex back in the early 90s at the height of political correctness. She was a bit of a feminist affirmative action junkie, and I used to tell her, that if she were ever in a fire I'm sure she'd want the best, strongest fireman to save her, and not someone who meets the quota.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Legbiter on May 06, 2015, 09:13:44 AM
Just create an admin position for her when she fails on the job.

And by admin, you mean restroom cleaner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

i think the military would prefer a larger applicant pool. after all, jacksons and pattons are a dime a dozen. so, the more applicants, the better.

grumbler

There never were 29 women  in the course that graduated this past month.  There were, in fact, two of them.  Twenty-seven women tried to take the IOC as part of a thirty-month experiment (two more to qualify as combat intel officers).  Only four passed the Combat Endurance Test at the start of IOC.  None completed IOC.

Of course, the women who entered IOC did so only for fun and challenge; they couldn't hope to achieve anything but a positive comment on their next fitness report, and were losing out on experience in their Marine "day job."

Not sure how Spicey knows about DoD pressures on the Marine Corps that even Marines don't know exist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Tim, can you stop posting alarmist clickbait articles for morons? If I wanted that, I would re-follow buzzfeed on my Facebook. Thanks.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2015, 10:10:31 AM
Tim, can you stop posting alarmist clickbait articles for morons? If I wanted that, I would re-follow buzzfeed on my Facebook. Thanks.

Yeah I think you may be on to something here. The Washington Times website seems to be nothing but clickbait crap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 10:17:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2015, 10:10:31 AM

Yeah I think you may be on to something here. The Washington Times website seems to be nothing but clickbait crap.

Indeed.  Turns out that this "crucial" test has only been crucial for two academy classes.  I don't think better performance on a test would have saved any of the 341 firefighters killed on 9/11, and they represent more than 90% of the firefighter deaths in the 21st century.

Seems like a test designated as "crucial" was only made mandatory after a record number of female firefighters (four) graduated in 2012.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: LaCroix on May 06, 2015, 09:21:18 AM

i think the military would prefer a larger applicant pool. after all, jacksons and pattons are a dime a dozen. so, the more applicants, the better.

Lowering the standards only lead to failures on the field of battle.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"