All things being equal, when it comes to books...

Started by Martinus, May 05, 2015, 12:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

...do you prefer to read

fiction?
12 (48%)
fact?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Martinus

I realised that the older I get, I am more interested in books about fact (history, politics, philosophy, anthropology etc.) than reading a novel.

celedhring

It's been the opposite for me. The older I am, the less "fact" books I read. There's a bit of a perverse mechanism at play because of my job, though, I'm finding myself with less and less time to read, and a good fiction book will probably teach me a thing or two about writing and storytelling.

Valmy

Fact. I only very rarely read fiction. But then I very rarely read non-Engineering stuff these days sadly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I still read mostly fiction but I agree with you Martinus.

Fiction is full of young characters doing dumb things & making dumb choices before going on a melancholy trip down "will she suck my cock" road. :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 07:59:40 AM
I still read mostly fiction but I agree with you Martinus.

Fiction is full of young characters doing dumb things & making dumb choices before going on a melancholy trip down "will she suck my cock" road. :rolleyes:

You're picking the wrong books, mon ami. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 08:23:12 AM
I need Grumbler to read it to me then. He has a 1st edition.

Signed by Moses

"Sorry about the wandering the desert thing"

Moses

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 08:26:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2015, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 05, 2015, 08:23:12 AM
I need Grumbler to read it to me then. He has a 1st edition.

Signed by Moses

"Sorry about the wandering the desert thing"

Moses

He was way more defensive about it too.

After he wrote "I got lost, OKAY?! You could have said something! I thought you were enjoying it!"
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger