News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your favourite unknown movie ?

Started by Oexmelin, June 15, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2009, 05:01:23 PM
Have you seen the Jen Genet directed short film Mihali? 

Can't remember what it's called but I quite enjoyed it.  It's silent.  It's major themes are homosexual desire and prison.

No, I didn't know he even made any films.  Looking it up, I think it is called Un chant d'amour from 1950.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

EDIT: Actually, the entire thing seems to be available for viewing on Google Video   :huh:: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2191169673913401693
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2009, 10:44:01 PM
Quote from: Scipio on June 16, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
That movie is sheer fucking genius.
Agree, but ask again why it should be so unknown. Superstar cast, superstar production team (hell, it is one of five or six "Newman's Own" movies) and yet unknown.  Weird.  It's like the Bermuda Triangle sucked it in or something.

it was out of print for a long long time iirc. But is not an unknown picture in Cinephile circles. Not at all. Great picture.
:p

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 08:23:35 AM
I'm a big fan of Koyaanisqatsi, though I'm not sure how "unknown" it is - many I mention it to have not heard of it, but it is very influential. Speeded up and slowed down camera work, music by Philip Glass.

Very well known. Play again?

Malthus

The problem is - "unknown" to whom? Certainly most people I know haven't seen or heard of Koyaanisqatsi.

Another relatively unknown movie I enjoyed immensely was The Tenant, but again it was filmed by Polanski who is hardly an unknown director. However most people I know have certainly not seen this movie. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 12:55:55 PM
The problem is - "unknown" to whom? Certainly most people I know haven't seen or heard of Koyaanisqatsi.

Another relatively unknown movie I enjoyed immensely was The Tenant, but again it was filmed by Polanski who is hardly an unknown director. However most people I know have certainly not seen this movie.

Who is Michael Douglas? Who is Jack Black?

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2009, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 12:55:55 PM

Who is Michael Douglas? Who is Jack Black?

My point exactly. Not everyone has the same subjective awareness.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habsburg

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2009, 08:23:35 AM
I'm a big fan of Koyaanisqatsi, though I'm not sure how "unknown" it is - many I mention it to have not heard of it, but it is very influential. Speeded up and slowed down camera work, music by Philip Glass.

I saw the film at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor with Philip Glass conducting a live orchestra.   :)

I preferred the version he did of Dracula the next night.   :Embarrass:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

My own favorite would be Yi Yi; a Taiwanese film about a family in crisis.

Other favorites include

Phantom India: Louis Malle's documentary about his travels in India in the 1960s

Love Me Tonight:  Early musical with Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald about a tailor who ends up in the household with a princess.  It plays out like a collaboration between Luis Bunel and Walt Disney.

Fallen Angels:  Wong Kir Wai's follow up to Chungking Express; supposed to be the second of the Hong Kong trilogy.  This one is about a hired killer, his manager and a deaf-mute who breaks into businesses and runs them after hours.  It's a wandering epic through the urban nightmare of Hong Kong.

I am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang; 1932 "Message" picture by Warner Brothers.  Every chain gang film since, from Cool Hand Luke to Sullivan's Travels has borrowed from this film.

Arsenal:  Dovzhenko's film about a group of Kiev munitions workers who rise up in strike.  Filled with thrilling chase scenes and folkloric episodes.

A Corner in Wheat:  DW Griffith short made before Birth of a Nation about a tycoon who corners the wheat market, how this impacts the rest of society and farmers who plow the uncaring land.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on June 20, 2009, 07:50:31 AM
Arsenal:  Dovzhenko's film about a group of Kiev munitions workers who rise up in strike.  Filled with thrilling chase scenes and folkloric episodes.

Interesting, I've only ever seen the poster so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Has anybody bothered to see David Mamet's Spartan on cable with Val Kilmer, other than me?
I highly recommend it.  Excellent and underappreciated.

Sophie Scholl

I watched it on dvd a while back.  A damn good movie though.  If it had a theater release, it wasn't done well.  I only barely remember seeing anything for it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2009, 08:08:47 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 20, 2009, 07:50:31 AM

Interesting, I've only ever seen the poster so far.

Some of their fans are a bit rough, but they're no West Ham.