News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A battleship for Neil

Started by Ed Anger, June 19, 2009, 07:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I wonder how much this stuff costs. Even little lego cars and things cost over £5 these days....
And where do they get all the special bits?
Awesomly awesome though, better even than the lego super star destroyer.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Actually, there's all kinds of LEGO builders for PC out there. One even offers supposedly photorealistic rendering:
http://www.ustream.tv
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

I'd like to see pics of the insides from the construction process.

Monoriu

I wonder if Lego provide free/discount bricks for these guys.

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2009, 08:03:17 AM
And something else for Neil:

A badly made representation: The chimney and the ovens are missing. :mellow:

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on June 20, 2009, 06:55:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2009, 08:03:17 AM
And something else for Neil:

A badly made representation: The chimney and the ovens are missing. :mellow:
The builder was a Pole.  As such, he probably believes the national story that the Jews of the Holocaust were beaten to death by heroic Polish patriots, not evil German Nazis.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2009, 07:55:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 20, 2009, 07:41:53 AM
Lego Hood:

http://gizmodo.com/5062401/20+foot+long-lego-battlecruiser-can-probably-sink-oil-tankers-on-impact

Sadly, only 3 blocks survived the magazine explosion.
Now THAT is the best thing ever.

Carriers are stupid.
So Neil, why do you love battleships so much more than carriers? Is it the phallic symbolism inherit in the guns?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2009, 09:53:58 PM
So Neil, why do you love battleships so much more than carriers? Is it the phallic symbolism inherit in the guns?
Because the dreadnought battleship was the apex of symmetrical, hierarchical naval warfare, which I find intellectually pleasing.  It is also the most important naval weapon of the late Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras, a period that I am interested in.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2009, 10:22:33 PM
Because the dreadnought battleship was the apex of symmetrical, hierarchical naval warfare, which I find intellectually pleasing.  It is also the most important naval weapon of the late Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras, a period that I am interested in.
A much better answer than I was expecting. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Carriers are lame. It's not even a naval battle, the attack comes from the air.  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: Drakken on June 20, 2009, 06:55:50 PMA badly made representation: The chimney and the ovens are missing. :mellow:

Sold seperately.

The full collection:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 20, 2009, 10:33:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2009, 10:22:33 PM
A much better answer than I was expecting. :)
I always knows the why behind my actions.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2009, 08:05:33 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 19, 2009, 07:51:40 PM
That's impressive right there.  22 feet long and 200,000 bricks?  I wonder how much that thing weighs.
Probably half a ton.

Roughly. Depending on what was used for internal bracing, I'd estimate anywhere from 1,050 lbs to 1,300 lbs.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2009, 08:24:36 AM
I wonder how much this stuff costs. Even little lego cars and things cost over £5 these days....
And where do they get all the special bits?
Awesomly awesome though, better even than the lego super star destroyer.

http://www.bricklink.com

A lot of us "hardcore" LEGO MOC builders are also not adverse to painting parts or cutting them with an exacto knife, either.
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: Syt on June 20, 2009, 08:00:37 AM
Not as big, but still cool:

Courtesy of
http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

Though this desert Tiger is beautiful:

And for shits and giggles:

The rear fuseluge of the P-40 and especially the P-51 seem strangely truncated.