News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Wladyslaw Bartoszewski

Started by Martinus, April 24, 2015, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

An Auschwitz survivor, then a Warsaw Uprising participant, and after 1989 twice a foreign affairs minister of Poland. Possibly the only Pole to ever speak before both the assembled houses of Bundestag and Bundesrat, as well as Knesset.

Died today in Warsaw.  :(

You can read more about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_Bartoszewski

Admiral Yi

He is survived by his widow Kholslaw.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2015, 05:41:00 PM

I don't know Bartoszewski from Adam, but after reading Marty's link he sounds like an incredibly inspiring fellow.  RIP.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2015, 11:05:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2015, 05:41:00 PM

I don't know Bartoszewski from Adam, but after reading Marty's link he sounds like an incredibly inspiring fellow.  RIP.

He was, yes. One of the last great ones (if not the last one). Of course the nationalist-Catholic right (PiS) hated him, mainly because he considered them idiots and never failed to tell them that.

Zanza

Great man. He was instrumental in shaping Polish-German friendship after the end of the Cold War. RIP.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on April 25, 2015, 04:12:25 AM
Great man. He was instrumental in shaping Polish-German friendship after the end of the Cold War. RIP.

Yup. He was good friends with the Kohls. There is this anecdote how, during one official state visit to Warsaw, Bartoszewski suggested to Kohl that they should take time to go and visit Auschwitz together as that would have been seen as a strong symbolic move towards reconciliation. The visit schedule was quite tight and Auschwitz is quite a ride from Warsaw.

"But I've already been there" said Kohl.
"So have I!" said Bartoszewski.

grumbler

I can't imagine surviving what he did, or what, say, Nelson Mandela did, and come out the other side as optimistic and willing to work towards peace as Bartoszewski was.  He was the man.  RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!