For every 100 black women not in jail, there are only 83 black men.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2015, 07:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2015, 08:10:00 PM
I've often wondered what it would be like to go to college now with women outnumbering men.
You don't have to organize cross-faculty parties anymore ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2015, 10:30:45 PM
The "general" civil service is female-dominated, because the civil service exams require proficiency in both Chinese and English.

Ok. That doesn't explain it in the USA. Ours don't require Chinese. Or English for that matter.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2015, 03:24:28 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2015, 10:30:45 PM
The "general" civil service is female-dominated, because the civil service exams require proficiency in both Chinese and English.

Ok. That doesn't explain it in the USA. Ours don't require Chinese. Or English for that matter.  :P

Another theory I have heard is that the males go for the high risk, high return jobs, like finance, investment banking, law, sales etc.  Females are content with the low risk, low pay civil service jobs. 

MadImmortalMan

I wouldn't say "content with". It's a different set of values in play. They aren't giving up anything to do that. It's what they want to do.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2015, 03:44:43 AM
I wouldn't say "content with". It's a different set of values in play. They aren't giving up anything to do that. It's what they want to do.

I won't disagree with that.  I think females are simply better than males in academics, especially in languages.  They mature earlier, are less likely to cause trouble, and tend to stay the course in the quest to get office jobs.  There are so many hurdles between students and office jobs, that a slight female advantage will translate into much greater gender imbalances in the workplace.  If females have a 51% passing rate for each exam, then after 20 exams, the ratio of females will be magnified. 

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Wait so Fergusen has the most missing black men by percentage in the entire country? That is...an interesting coincidence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2015, 08:24:49 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2015, 08:29:51 PM
When did you matriculate Speesh?

Started there in 1994.  Women far outnumbered men at UD.
Started at BU the same year and I think it was 60% female.  I never had any issues getting action but stupidly stuck with the same girl nearly the whole way thru college. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

She was a good sport tho.  Anything I wanted to try she was game for. :)

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2015, 03:58:14 PM

:x Dinner at the Pump'n'Eat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Actually, there's no way in HELL this girl would have gone for that. :lol:

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2015, 03:58:14 PM

How's your work out coming?
How many lbs have you lost so far?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"