South Africa Deploys Army to Curb Anti-Foreigner Violence

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2015, 08:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Seen some really intense photos that a photographer friend of mine from S. Africa has posted. Looks really bad.

www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-africa-deploys-army-curb-anti-foreigner-violence-n345441

QuoteSouth Africa Deploys Army to Curb Anti-Foreigner Violence

JOHANNESBURG — South Africa deployed the army on Tuesday in "volatile areas" to curb a wave of anti-immigrant violence that has killed at least seven people this month, the defense minister said.

The latest wave of anti-immigrant attacks began almost three weeks ago in parts of the coastal city of Durban and quickly spread to Johannesburg, South Africa's commercial capital.

Defense Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said soldiers were being sent to "volatile areas," which included the rundown Johannesburg district of Alexandra and parts of Kwa-Zulu Natal. "There will be those who will be critical of this decision but the vulnerable will appreciate it," Mapisa-Nqakula told reporters in Alexandra.

South Africa has been criticized by foreign governments — including China, Nigeria and Zimbabwe — for failing to protect foreigners as TV stations broadcast images around the world of armed mobs looting immigrant-owned shops.

President Jacob Zuma's government came under further pressure when disturbing images appeared in local media Sunday of men beating and stabbing a Mozambican man to death in broad daylight. Mapisa-Nqakula said a Zimbabwean couple was also shot at in the Alexandra on Monday night but they survived.
— Reuters
First published April 21st 2015, 10:25 pm
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point