News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the Obama Honeymoon Over?

Started by Faeelin, June 19, 2009, 09:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on June 25, 2009, 10:59:30 AM
The Iran press conference was interesting.  Obama doesn't hold his cool so well when the press is being snarky.
From my personal experience, it's very hard for a highly intelligent man to suffer the fools gracefully.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2009, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on June 25, 2009, 10:59:30 AM
The Iran press conference was interesting.  Obama doesn't hold his cool so well when the press is being snarky.
From my personal experience, it's very hard for a highly intelligent man to suffer the fools gracefully.

Don't let it get to you, the annoyance with you passes quickly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2009, 11:06:40 AM
They get treated when they show up with something serious.
Depends what that "serious something" is.  Gunshot, yes.  Cancer that requires long therapy to treat?  Getting iffy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 11:22:47 AM
Don't let it get to you, the annoyance with you passes quickly.

DG, you really walked into that one. :lol:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2009, 10:54:12 AM

Well, to an extent he's right - the Canadian system hasn't developed a workable method of incentivising docs to move to the sticks.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2009, 08:40:55 AM

Why anybody would ever want to be a Doctor in the US is completely beyond me.  Being a doctor seems like one of the truly shit jobs out there: you have to work so hard to get a job that pays poorly, works you long long hours, and is high stress.

Clearly they do when it's an upgrade over what their previous options were. An awful lot of our doctors are foreigners coming from places where their skills are...less valuable.

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 25, 2009, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2009, 08:40:55 AM

Why anybody would ever want to be a Doctor in the US is completely beyond me.  Being a doctor seems like one of the truly shit jobs out there: you have to work so hard to get a job that pays poorly, works you long long hours, and is high stress.

Clearly they do when it's an upgrade over what their previous options were. An awful lot of our doctors are foreigners coming from places where their skills are...less valuable.

Canada?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 11:17:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2009, 11:09:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 11:08:00 AM
Again, in some states the state provides HMO-like health care coverage to the poor. So alfred's response does not really reflect ALL cases.

If they have coverage, they wouldn't be a part of the uninsured.

They are for the purposes of this conversation about health care coverage, and more importantly, what happens when you cannot afford your own. In some cases, the answer is that the state pays for it.

We have medicaid too--those people aren't usually included as uninsured.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2009, 11:30:11 AM

Canada?

Of the three docs my wife and I see, two are from Canada and one is from the UK. So, yeah. I guess so.

There are also a lot of them from South Asia.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 11:30:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2009, 10:54:12 AM
incentivising

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

You know, you get a doctor to treat that bleeding problem in the US. If you incentivize him properly, of course.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2009, 12:45:17 PM
You know, you get a doctor to treat that bleeding problem in the US. If you incentivize him properly, of course.  :D

I'll get my incentivizing stick.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 12:47:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2009, 12:45:17 PM

I'll get my incentivizing stick.

Good.

You have now incentivized me to use that word in every possible situation.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2009, 12:52:45 PM
Good.

You have now incentivized me to use that word in every possible situation.  :D

According to Camus, since life is meaningless, it's up to the individual to set his own goals in order that he may experience moments of triumnph.  I'm glad I've helped you find such a goal.   :)