Italy counts up to 900 migrants dead and launches rescues of two more boats

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2015, 06:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

When it comes to attacking ships in port, the RN is probably your best bet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 22, 2015, 09:13:21 AM
That handled, we can go back to pressing affairs: quashing the resistance in Greece before they can call upon the Russian or American (?) 'aid' they 'claim' they can get.

:lol:

Martim Silva

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2015, 09:16:49 AM
When it comes to attacking ships in port, the RN is probably your best bet.

True, but London seems to have issues at the moment with their carriers and getting planes on them.   :bowler:

Not to mention the Brits would love to see Europe flounder  :(

Quote from: Admiral Yi
:lol:

That was my reaction, too. But the statement remains:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31350547

[quote)
Panos Kammenos, who heads the junior coalition partner Independent Greeks, said Greece had an obligation to go to "plan B" if proposals are rejected.

(...)

"But if there is no deal, and if we see that Germany remains rigid and wants to blow apart Europe, then we have the obligation to go to plan B.

"Plan B is to get funding from another source. It could be the United States at best, it could be Russia (...)"

Admiral Yi

Aren't you kind of a commie Martim, and as such, sympathetic to these loons?

Martim Silva

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2015, 09:36:02 AM
Aren't you kind of a commie Martim, and as such, sympathetic to these loons?

Ignoring the obvious slander, I will add that I am an European first and foremost.

And Syriza's ideology has detalis - unappopriate to discuss in a thread about migrants - that prevent me from being that sympathetic to them.

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on April 21, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
That was a no win scenario. Either you intervene with a good chance of totally destabilizing the country, or you prop up an aging dictator whose inevitable death will probably have the same result.

I think Ghaddafi would have put down the revolt. It was likely way overblown as a humanitarian issue in order to get NATO to intervene. If Ghaddafi remained in power, when he died then likely one of his sons would take over. Not great but there were really no good solutions and our meddling sped up the place becoming a failed state ruled by extremists. We could hope that with the sons in power, let them make the transition to a better type of government in a more peaceful way. They were already working and cooperating with the US and West to some extent, which was in their interest in several ways, so perhaps over time other types of influence to encourage a gradual change in government policy would have been a better course.

Caliga

I'm not sure that he would have been able to put the revolt down completely without outside support.  I think it might have devolved into a Syria-like situation with him perhaps not regaining full control of Cyrenaica.  I definitely think he wouldn't have fallen from power though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

So what would be better exactly then Cal? :P

The only reason NATO did shit was to protect Euro oil supplies anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2015, 01:51:56 PM
So what would be better exactly then Cal? :P

The only reason NATO did shit was to protect Euro oil supplies anyway.
It would have been better for us to support him and help him crush the rebels, of course.  That way he'd firmly be our bitch and would have behaved even better than he had been behaving recently.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point