News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Battlefront III

Started by Syt, April 17, 2015, 01:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Yeah.  That looks amazing.  Hopefully it pans out.  I need to get my Y-Wing fix.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

lustindarkness

I've been keeping track of this for over a year. Already had told The Wife I would be getting the PS4 for this game. Today when the trailer came out it was almost like yesterday's movie trailer.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

I cannot believe that is game footage!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

It's in engine footage, so I'm guessing they're using a lot of custom assets/animations that might not necessarily be in the final game, and it might either be done on a monster rig, or pre-rendered, or both.

Also: no space battles, 40 player limit.

The trailer looks awesome, but I'll be kinda cautious till gameplay footage is shown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on April 17, 2015, 01:53:27 PM
It's in engine footage, so I'm guessing they're using a lot of custom assets/animations that might not necessarily be in the final game, and it might either be done on a monster rig, or pre-rendered, or both.

Also: no space battles, 40 player limit.

The trailer looks awesome, but I'll be kinda cautious till gameplay footage is shown.

PS4
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Tie in with new new movie you say?

The Hollywood Reporter

Graeme McMillan
April 17, 2015
A new trailer for the videogame Star Wars: Battlefront has been released, showing impressively lifelike footage of a battle on Endor during the events of Return of the Jedi. But it turns out that the game also will be a destination for those looking for advance information about Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The new trailer, released Friday to coincide with a presentation about the game at Anaheim's Star Wars Celebration, not only shows a battle between Rebel forces and the Empire on Endor — including a cameo by a certain Dark Lord of the Sith — but also scenes of conflict on Hoth and Tatooine. However, it's been revealed that a future DLC for the game will be titled "The Battle of Jakku," named for the planet seen in the new Force Awakens trailer.

The free DLC, available Dec. 1 for those who pre-ordered and Dec. 8 for everyone else, will debut the eponymous battle, which is described by developer Dice as "a pivotal moment" in Star Wars mythology that happens "just after the victory for the Rebel Alliance at the Battle of Endor." According to Dice design director Niklas Fegraeus, "These events lead up to that massive wrecked Star Destroyer that you saw in the [second teaser] for The Force Awakens."

It's another sign that Lucasfilm's revised approach to Star Wars canon and spinoff material, made public last year and best described as "everything counts," is being taken seriously. The Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens line of novels and comics has already been announced, giving important information about what happened between Return of the Jedi and this year's movie. And now it appears that Battlefront will be doing the same.

Star Wars: Battlefront will be released for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on Nov. 17, with the "Battle of Jakku" DLC following the next month.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

The previews for this game have left me pretty cold. There's streams on Twitch, but while it looks nice it also seems to be so ... bland?

Anyways:

QuoteMinimum PC System Requirements

Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent
Memory: 8GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Recommended PC System Requirements

Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600 or equivalent
Memory: 16GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Gonna try out the ps4 open beta this week, see if it holds my interest.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I've tried the beta for an hour or so.

It looks nice and sounds nice. And it's reasonably fast paced.

It still leaves me a bit cold. I'm not the world's biggest FPS fan and accordingly, I sucked badly, though I presume if I spent more time with it and learned the maps by heart I might be able to become slightly less sucky.

And I still feel "meh" about it. Not sure I like the equipment unlock system. And despite all the bells and whistles it feels decidedly not epic. The Hoth battle is the biggest with 20 v 20. It's fun running through the trenches, but I dislike that vehicles, or special weapons (orbital strikes, squad shields, LukeSkywalker (I think?)) are power ups you pick up on the battlefield, unlike old Battlefront where vehicles would spawn in certain locations, e.g. Snowspeeders in the Rebel hangar. The auto-heal if you don't take damage for a couple of seconds is also weird.

It also looks like the game might launch with 4 or 5 planets/maps with various game modes on them? Consider me underwhelmed (and the Sullust barren rock map is rather bland/boring).

Oh, and as you may know there's no server selection - the game will try to put you in with similarly skilled players (think World of Tanks), but as n00b with no equipment I had to go against guys who were at least Level 4 with several unlocks (grenade, sniper rifle, jump pack).
—Stephen Jay Gould