News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hitler was worse than Stalin

Started by Syt, April 17, 2015, 06:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, that debate is finally settled, then. :)

http://tass.ru/en/russia/789871

QuotePutin: Nazism, Stalinism can't be equalized

Extermination of entire ethnoses was one of the aims of Nazis' policy, but the Stalin regime never set the goal of exterminating entire peoples, the Russian leader says

MOSCOW, April 16. /TASS/. Nazism and Stalinism can't be equalized, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday during an annual question and answer session officially known as "The Direct Line with Vladimir Putin."

"It's impossible to equalize Nazism and Stalinism," Putin said. "Because Nazis directly, openly and publicly declared extermination of entire ethnoses — Jews, Gypsies and Slavs — one of the aims of their policy."

He added that "even taking into account the ugliness of the Stalinist regime, all repressions, exiles of entire nations, the regime never set the goal of exterminating entire peoples."

"The attempt to equalize these and those is absolutely ungrounded," Putin said.

At the same time, he admitted that predecessors gave a reason for such a comparison.

"After the Second World War, we tried to impose on East European countries our model of development and did it by force," Putin said. He said it was not good and is "keeps backfiring on us today."

"By the way, Americans are behaving in the same manner, trying to impose their model practically worldwide," he said. "They are in for a failure too."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Is he wrong? :hmm:

I don't think Stalin wanted to exterminate any peoples, he just wanted them to live in different places and experience new things. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

:yes: Communism is nice. And I don't say that just because I wear glasses and speak a foreign language and know that I will get murdered if Communists come to power in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"By the way, Americans are behaving in the same manner, trying to impose their model practically worldwide," he said. "They are in for a failure too."

The real point here is that Amerikkka is worse than both.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

I think they are both greatly misunderstood, because both were on the wrong side of history.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Just on this point, I actually agree with Putin.  If I have to choose, I will also say that Hitler was worse than Stalin. 

derspiess

It's kind of nice that he semi-acknowledges Soviet oppression post-WWII but to call it imposing a "model of development" is an interesting choice of words. 

He'll occasionally acknowledge that the Soviet Union did bad things, but he has to immediately follow up by slinging shit at everyone else.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on April 17, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
I think they are both greatly misunderstood, because both were on the wrong side of history.

Yeah but the reason they were both on the wrong side of history has alot to do with their actions. As in: if Hitler had created a peaceful prosperous racist Germany history would think of Fascism very differently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2015, 08:49:44 AM
It's kind of nice that he semi-acknowledges Soviet oppression post-WWII but to call it imposing a "model of development" is an interesting choice of words. 

"Impose" carries a lot of meaning too.

Siege

Hitler and Stalin were the same in my book.
They both killed millions of jews.
That it was done for different reasons makes not difference to the victims.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 09:05:36 AM
That it was don't for different reasons makes not difference to the victims.

Eh I would like my chances better as a Jew under Stalin.

grumbler

Stalin killed people he thought deserved to die
Hitler killed people he thought didn't deserve to live.
Those are different levels of evil, and the Hitler level is worse. 

That doesn't make Stalin good, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2015, 09:14:28 AM
Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 09:05:36 AM
That it was don't for different reasons makes not difference to the victims.

Eh I would like my chances better as a Jew under Stalin.
:huh:  You are still thinking the Siege shtick is worth responding to?  I enjoy it, but can't even pretend to take it seriously.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2015, 09:54:47 AM
:huh:  You are still thinking the Siege shtick is worth responding to?  I enjoy it, but can't even pretend to take it seriously.

I am just not very good at remembering who is worth responding to and who isn't. Oh I have tried in the past. I have thought many times 'why do I even talk to Hortlund...er...random poster? Best to just ignore his posts from now on.'

But I forget and do it anyway. And even when I do remember I lack the self discipline.