News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Slavery Poll

Started by Siege, April 10, 2015, 03:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have a moral threshhold past which you would own slaves?

I would own only black slaves
0 (0%)
I would own only white slaves
1 (2.3%)
I would own only sex slaves
14 (31.8%)
I would own all kinds of slaves
6 (13.6%)
I would never own slaves
23 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Martinus

0 hours contracts are what will get us all killed in a revolution. Mark my words.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2015, 04:35:51 PM
What is a 0 hour contract?

Essentially a contract with an external contractor who is a de facto employee but only gets paid for the hours actually worked (hence the "0 hours" as he or she gets no guarantee about pay/work in a given period) and enjoys no protections of a traditional employee.

More and more service providers (such as cleaners and the like) are getting employed this way in Europe.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 03:55:30 PM
I went with never.
Just too much trouble.
You have to feed them and dress them, provide a roof, and chase them when they run.

I would rather have employees.
There is a reason why capitalism destroyed slavery.

It did?  How do you figure that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2015, 05:41:54 PM
It did?  How do you figure that?

Because slavery was not competitive with wage labor in factories.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Because the slaves destroyed all of the machinery.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 04:37:59 PM

Essentially a contract with an external contractor who is a de facto employee but only gets paid for the hours actually worked (hence the "0 hours" as he or she gets no guarantee about pay/work in a given period) and enjoys no protections of a traditional employee.

More and more service providers (such as cleaners and the like) are getting employed this way in Europe.
Isn't that just American employment law? :P

It's a big issue with shop workers and the like in the UK too. The Lib Dems and Labour are both promising to abolish them.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2015, 06:01:47 PM

It's a big issue with shop workers and the like in the UK too. The Lib Dems and Labour are both promising to abolish them.

They can try, but there will always be ways around it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 04:37:59 PM

That actually sounds better than what employees get in Hong Kong.  At least they get paid for hours worked.  One of the chief labour complaints in HK is that employers can get away with demanding extra hours from employees and not paying overtime, because there is no requirement to specify the number of working hours in the contract.

Sheilbh

These people aren't paid overtime for the most part Mono and they're paid by the hour. Does that not exist in Hong Kong?
Let's bomb Russia!