News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Valmy's ADHD Dragon Age playthrough

Started by Valmy, April 10, 2015, 09:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on August 12, 2015, 10:41:15 AM
Yean.  DAI almost feels like it's trolling.  The most powerful person in the world is a woman in a lesbian interracial relationship and, well, more than half of the protagonists are not-straight. 

That is normal in this series. In the second game every romance was bisexual except for the celibate guy. It is only jarring when a character, like Dorian, claims their homosexuality is deviant when it is treated as absolutely the norm by everybody else. Or maybe it is just the fact he is not bisexual that enraged his dad so :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

I think what scared his dad more was that he was the work of thousands of years of breeding that would be lost, and that he was an only child.  TBH if I had only one son and he turned out to be gay and totally against any kind of in-vitro deal I'd probably be disappointed too.  And I'm not some Kwisatzch Haderach mage. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Yeah, I agree with Spellus - and also yeah I think Dorian is the first homosexual (not bisexual) male character in the series.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on August 12, 2015, 10:47:34 AM
I think what scared his dad more was that he was the work of thousands of years of breeding that would be lost, and that he was an only child.  TBH if I had only one son and he turned out to be gay and totally against any kind of in-vitro deal I'd probably be disappointed too.  And I'm not some Kwisatzch Haderach mage. 

True but Dorian said it was because he was imperfect and had to be fixed, that it was an embarrassment to his family, rather than simply refusing to close his eyes and think of Tevinter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

I guess I disappointed my dad. :(

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2015, 10:50:14 AM
Yeah, I agree with Spellus - and also yeah I think Dorian is the first homosexual (not bisexual) male character in the series.

And I pointed that out in my post and have made jokes about it in the playthrough. Straight and gay people have to fight against binormativity!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2015, 10:50:40 AM

European parents are used to it. It is not like your straight counterparts are out there expanding the family gene pool.

Martinus

Incidentally, from what I read, Dorian sounds exactly like most of my characters in any P&P fantasy role playing game - egotistical, sarcastic, charming and gay.

Does he fling fireballs and have a temper too? :P

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2015, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2015, 10:50:40 AM

European parents are used to it. It is not like your straight counterparts are out there expanding the family gene pool.

I think all my dad's nephews have 3+ kids each. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2015, 10:52:48 AM
Incidentally, from what I read, Dorian sounds exactly like most of my characters in any P&P fantasy role playing game - egotistical, sarcastic, charming and gay.

He is quite a gentleman actually I am immensely fond of him -_-

I have not pissed him off but I am sure you can and I predict he would respond poorly :P

As for fireballs well he does in my game because I specced him to do so.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2015, 10:53:26 AM
I think all my dad's nephews have 3+ kids each. :P

The great house of Marty lives on!

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2015, 10:54:06 AM

I have not pissed him off but I am sure you can and I predict he would respond poorly :P

He's the best character in the game. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2015, 10:44:39 AM
It is only jarring when a character, like Dorian, claims their homosexuality is deviant when it is treated as absolutely the norm by everybody else. Or maybe it is just the fact he is not bisexual that enraged his dad so :P
tbh, it seems the norm in Ferelden.  We have no idea how the dwarven nobles, the Dalish Elves or the Tevinter react to it.  Well, now, we know about the Tevinters nobles.  And if you played a human noble in DAO, since your family died in the intro, we don't know how your father would have reacted ;)
I'm not sure we've seen any gay noble in Kirkwall... Did we?  Can't remember, I don't pay much attention to these things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Definately not Martyesque.

Ah easy.
Play dumb when he starts giving you hint he's gay :P
Works only if you're a male character.  If you're a women, he'll flirt with you until you press him for seriousness, then he says you're not your type.

Also, Sera is a lesbian.  I guess it's gay men version of how a lesbian is supposed to be :P
That would explain why Gaider said Dorian was his first fully homosexual character and totally forgot about Sera.

QuoteAs for fireballs well he does in my game because I specced him to do so.
There's no fireballs in this game, except for Solas special power ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on August 12, 2015, 10:59:32 AM

He's the best character in the game. 
btw, in Jaws of Hakkon:
[spoiler]
We learn that the Tevinters built aqueducts in the past...[/spoiler]