Detroit begins shutting off water for 150,000

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2014, 11:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 20, 2014, 12:54:18 PM
Yeah my work did the same recently. Wasn't like a vacation day though as we were expected to manage from home.

This was back in 1999-ish, when working remotely was such a pain in the ass you were rarely required to do it.  I was on-call that week, so I did technically have to be available should any emergency arise.  But it didn't, so I stayed home and played Close Combat III all afternoon :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2014, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2014, 12:20:09 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2014, 12:17:20 PM
I can't even remember how many times I got up for school to find the water had been shut off as a kid. It sucked, but it's hardly a human rights emergency.

I seem to recall that if the water wsa shut off we had to go home.  No water = no bathroom, which doesn't work out too well...

I had that happen at work one time eons ago.  About an hour after I got to work they had to turn the water off in the building for the rest of the day and we were all sent home.  Like a free vacation day :)

I think MIM meant the water was off at his residence, not at the school.

DGuller

As far as genocides go, this one seems remarkably ineffective.

jimmy olsen

While Detroit is busy shutting off people's water, they're also building a 1,000 foot waterslide for the summer. Isn't multitasking great! :w00t:

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2015/04/08/1000-foot-water-slide-to-take-over-detroit-streets-this-summer#.VSWW6oZHbxo.facebook
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I have heard of other cities that do more than one thing at a time.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2015, 07:29:18 PM
While Detroit is busy shutting off people's water, they're also building a 1,000 foot waterslide for the summer. Isn't multitasking great! :w00t:

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2015/04/08/1000-foot-water-slide-to-take-over-detroit-streets-this-summer#.VSWW6oZHbxo.facebook
Well it isn't a FREE waterslide.  So it's not like they are cutting off non-payers' water while telling them to slurp it off the ground at the free public waterslide.
PDH!

Caliga

Waterslides are more fun than hydrated blacks? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points