Detroit begins shutting off water for 150,000

Started by jimmy olsen, June 24, 2014, 11:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on June 25, 2014, 08:53:57 AM
This is what happens when Democrats run a place without opposition.

Republicans would make access to water more affordable?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2014, 09:14:29 AM

Republicans would have destroyed the unions in an orgy of blood.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

No blood for water  :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

Especially the damned water union :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2014, 08:37:13 AM
I'm sure their cable TV service is still on.

What, didnt have time to write something about buying Air Jordans and hair extensions, Cracker McCracker?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2014, 09:51:02 AM
What, didnt have time to write something about buying Air Jordans and hair extensions, Cracker McCracker?

No, sir.  I didn't have to-- YOU DID IT FOR ME :face:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2014, 08:39:09 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 25, 2014, 08:35:14 AM
How the hell do you have half a city not paying their water bills? Is Detroit really that poor, or are people not paying because they feel they don't have to?

According to the article 40% of Detroit residents are below the poverty line.  Also, according to the article, the move to shut off the water is an attempt to get blood from a stone to satisfy creditors in the bankruptcy proceedings.

If they're below the poverty line then they must be getting  state/federal subsidies. I would think that pays all or some water and other utility bills?

crazy canuck

Quote from: KRonn on June 25, 2014, 10:26:20 AM
How the hell do you have half a city not paying their water bills? Is Detroit really that poor, or are people not paying because they feel they don't have to?

According to the article 40% of Detroit residents are below the poverty line.  Also, according to the article, the move to shut off the water is an attempt to get blood from a stone to satisfy creditors in the bankruptcy proceedings.

If they're below the poverty line then they must be getting  state/federal subsidies. I would think that pays all or some water and other utility bills?

Your assumptions seem to be undone by the fact that 150,000 people are losing access to a necessity of life.

Eddie Teach

I'd say we should let everybody have free water, but then people would be using it all up on their lawns.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2014, 11:25:44 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 25, 2014, 10:26:20 AM

Your assumptions seem to be undone by the fact that 150,000 people are losing access to a necessity of life.

The weirdest part of this story is that instead of appealing to the government in Lansing or Washington they are going to the UN.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

If Detroit and the people who live there can't afford to provide running water to every home, perhaps they should look into some kind of neighbourhood well system.  People can walk to the taps to fetch water for the day, public bathing facilities could be built.  An opportunity to turn their mismanagement of their funds and lives into something that will bring the community together.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 25, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
I'd say we should let everybody have free water, but then people would be using it all up on their lawns.  :rolleyes:

Damn straight.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on June 25, 2014, 11:39:38 AM
If Detroit and the people who live there can't afford to provide running water to every home, perhaps they should look into some kind of neighbourhood well system.  People can walk to the taps to fetch water for the day, public bathing facilities could be built.  An opportunity to turn their mismanagement of their funds and lives into something that will bring the community together.

Yeah.  My church raises enough cash to dig several wells in Africa each year.  Maybe we could do a couple in Detroit :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.