News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Cards are looking decent, but we have been spoiled recently April doesn't mean much to me, we need to be around in October.

In a stunning development the Mariners are not as good as advertised, but at least they are bad in a different way this year.  They, and specifically Nelson Cruz, are raking but all of a sudden they can't get anyone out.  Hopefully the bats continue to hit and the arms come back to where they have been the last couple of years.  If that happens they should be able to be interesting into September.

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on April 20, 2015, 07:54:42 PM
Cards are looking decent, but we have been spoiled recently April doesn't mean much to me, we need to be around in October.

I see your point, plus as healthy as they are now you know there will be a key injury or two later on. 

But I'll enjoy what we have now-- pitching is very solid and you couldn't ask for more timely hitting.  I'd like to see Wacha continue to develop into an ace, Lance Lynn continue to win, and the bats continue to give consistent performance throughout the lineup.  This Carlos Martinez kid almost looks too good to be true, but Cards have a kick-ass farm system and keep drafting well so maybe he's not a fluke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Thought this was fairly impressive.  Might have helped the Reds snap their losing streak.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/04/21/reds-manager-drops-f-word-77-times-during-rant-with-reporters/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

And Wainwright tore his Achilles tendon.  That's pretty shitty.  :(

dps

Quote from: sbr on April 27, 2015, 07:11:50 PM
And Wainwright tore his Achilles tendon.  That's pretty shitty.  :(

Man, derspiess really jinxed his team with post #16 in this thread, didn't he?

Barrister

Man oh man - Royals are at the top of the AL.

I was sure 2014 was a crazy fluke... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Now if their pitchers could just stop throwing at other players....

alfred russel

Braves blow an 8 run lead. Against the Nationals. With Dan Uggla (who blew for the Braves the past couple years) hitting a 3 run 9th inning homer for the Nats to give them the lead.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Cardinals' middle reliever Mitch Harris got his first MLB win last night.  He's a 29-year old rookie and former Navy Lieutenant.  Cardinals are rolling, off to their best start since 1899 when they were the Perfectos.  Of course, anytime I post anything positive about them, they lose.  You're welcome, fahdiz.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2015, 11:16:11 PM
Braves blow an 8 run lead. Against the Nationals. With Dan Uggla (who blew for the Braves the past couple years) hitting a 3 run 9th inning homer for the Nats to give them the lead.

That's what I call winning uggla
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

So I've been mulling over the Franchise Four for the Cardinals and some other teams.

For the Cards I voted for Musial & Gibson (both no-brainers) and then figured I had to vote for Hornsby due to his lifetime BA.  Agonized over my last choice.  My heart was with Ozzie but I couldn't leave Pujols out with the numbers he put up.  After I put my vote in I checked the all-time WAR for Cards players.  The top 4 are Musial, Hornsby, Gibby & Pujols, with Ozzie ranked fifth.

For the Reds I voted Rose, Larkin, Frank Robinson, and Bench.  Checked the WAR and bam, nailed it again.

Gonna try to get through every team and see how close I get.

The Minsky Moment

Pepper Martin, Whitey Kurowski, Bob Forsch, and  Ray Lankford
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

For the Reds:
Ernie Lombardi, Ted Kluszewski, Dave Concepcion, Mario Soto
--Joan Robinson

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 04:47:51 PM
So I've been mulling over the Franchise Four for the Cardinals and some other teams.

For the Cards I voted for Musial & Gibson (both no-brainers) and then figured I had to vote for Hornsby due to his lifetime BA.  Agonized over my last choice.  My heart was with Ozzie but I couldn't leave Pujols out with the numbers he put up.  After I put my vote in I checked the all-time WAR for Cards players.  The top 4 are Musial, Hornsby, Gibby & Pujols, with Ozzie ranked fifth.

For the Reds I voted Rose, Larkin, Frank Robinson, and Bench.  Checked the WAR and bam, nailed it again.

Gonna try to get through every team and see how close I get.

Hornsby played too long ago to be real.  I would put Ozzie in for him.