France bans super-skinny models in anorexia clampdown

Started by jimmy olsen, April 05, 2015, 06:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2015, 12:42:04 AM
I hope this is followed by the mirror measure that would ban people with BMI over a certain level from eating at McDonald's. Obesity is a much greater health concern for a much larger group of people than anorexia is, and at least models get paid for what they do.

As much as obesity is a problem (though is it really in France?) you are missing the point. 

Anorexic models are pushing and reinforcing an unnatural and unhealthy image to people.

I can't think of anyone who wants to be like a fat dude/chick going to MacDonalds.

Martinus

Yes but with the advent of "anti-bullying" campaigns and witchhunts against "fat shaming" more and more unhealthy, obese people are being told that being as fat as they are is ok, and they should stop listening to people who tell them to get into a better shape. This is much greater public health concern than a handful of girls who become anorexic because of watching some models.

I, for one, I am perplexed that we ban marijuhana and restrict consumption of alcohol and cigarettes, but noone jails a mother who feeds her kid a Big Mac every day for child abuse.

sbr

So telling people to be OK with their bodies is worse than making them feel ashamed of their bodies.

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on April 06, 2015, 01:22:45 AM
So telling people to be OK with their bodies is worse than making them feel ashamed of their bodies.

It depends in what condition their bodies are, wouldn't you agree? Telling an alcoholic or a drug addict to be ok with his addiction is probably worse than making him ashamed of it, no?

Unlike what all the hippy new age types tell you, shame is not always a destructive or dysfunctional emotion - being ashamed about one's shortcomings is usually the first step towards trying to overcome and correct them.

Zanza

Banning work opportunities based on wage seems to be discriminatory. Does this work with the EU anti-discrimination rules?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on April 06, 2015, 01:46:27 AM
Banning work opportunities based on wage seems to be discriminatory. Does this work with the EU anti-discrimination rules?

They're not the first in the EU to do so, so maybe, they might still be fighting it in the courts.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2015/0403/France-bans-models-who-are-too-thin.-Should-US-follow-suit-video
QuoteFrance has joined Italy, Spain, and Israel in banning models that are "excessively thin" in advertising campaigns or on catwalks.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2015, 12:37:50 AM
(In fairness, men are a lot fatter these days too.  You may want to pay attention, S, Mart, garbon, etc., because this affects you.)

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I guess they could try to fit it under health and safety requirements. It may be a bit of a stretch, but still banning blind people from being bus drivers is not a discrimination based on disability either. ;)

Josquius

I don't know about France itself but here, where quarter or more of the people are French, you pretty much never see a fat person :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I find anorexics as repulsive as the next guy, but hiding them from the world won't magically make the problem go away. France is retarded. And what's the next step? Will they help the Germans round them up and send them to the East?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2015, 04:07:34 AM
I find anorexics as repulsive as the next guy, but hiding them from the world won't magically make the problem go away. France is retarded. And what's the next step? Will they help the Germans round them up and send them to the East?

Did they say they were going to lock them away? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2015, 04:10:16 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 06, 2015, 04:07:34 AM

Did they say they were going to lock them away? :unsure:

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Not letting them be models is not the same as hiding them from the world. ;)

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2015, 03:18:27 AM

I guess they could try to fit it under health and safety requirements. It may be a bit of a stretch, but still banning blind people from being bus drivers is not a discrimination based on disability either. ;)
Blind bus drivers are unfit to do their work by objective criteria. Thin models are obviously not as otherwise we wouldn't have this debate in the first place. As far as I can tell, the law seems to try to protect the public by not creating a "positive" image of anorexia or excessive thinness. It is not meant to protect the models themselves as anorexia can obviously not be made illegal, so it is not about their health and safety and merely limits their job opportunities.

Eddie Teach

Seems like the same objections could be made for any "plus size" models. But it's really about making fat people feel better about ourselves, not about the health of the models.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?