"Hacking Traditional College's White Privilege Work"

Started by Queequeg, March 31, 2015, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I wonder . . . if one rewrote the history of the Civil Rights movement, such that existing institutions were eschewed as irremediable bastions of racist privilege.  So no Brown v. Board, no Shelley v. Kraemer, no Heart of Atlanta Motel.   No Voting Rights Act - for that matter no voting, or running for office, what's the point?  No 1964 Civil Rights Act. 

Doesn't seem that alternative history is a really good one.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 08:17:09 AM
Stuff like this makes me weep. Sometimes it seems the humanities are truly consuming themselves with idiocy, leading to their total irrelevance and divorce from reality.

"Sometimes"?  "Leading to"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I think I'd be good at this kind of debate, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2015, 04:20:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 04:16:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2015, 04:15:59 PM
Sure they did.

What was the premise and how did they attack it?
Should the President's war powers be restricted? The question is pointless, talking about restricting war powers of one branch, when the entire apparatus of the US government is making war on African-Americans.

Other than a spurious link through the word 'war', that's more of a non sequitur than attacking the premise.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on April 01, 2015, 06:51:28 AM
Other than a spurious link through the word 'war', that's more of a non sequitur than attacking the premise.

it's more of just about anything than it is attacking the premise.  But, again, unless the referees punish refusal to debate the issue, teams who spend time on the intellectual heavy lifting rather than focusing on rhetorical showmanship will lose.  It seems that this is the desired outcome among CEDA's membership, so those who want a different standard for competition will just need to go elsewhere.  There is room for performance art competitions as well as intellectual debate competitions.

Now, it is irritating to see people try not only to encourage performance art but to actively discourage and shame intellectual debate, but that's social media for you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Now see, I might have applauded if they had proceeded along the lines of "since the War Powers Act as not invoked to legitimize the government's war against blacks, it is irrelevant."

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2015, 05:48:14 PM
I think I'd be good at this kind of debate, though.

Did you see the video?  They'd eat you alive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2015, 09:29:33 AM

Now see, I might have applauded if they had proceeded along the lines of "since the War Powers Act as not invoked to legitimize the government's war against blacks, it is irrelevant."

That's no closer to attacking a premise than the tack they actually took. :mellow:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

How about:

"The questionable hidden premise of this debate is that we can discuss the restriction of the President's war powers without reference to who the President happens to be - as if the Office mattered more than the man. This is false, and hides the reality - that, in America, the fact of the President's race matters as much or more than the office that he holds; a "Black President" is not the same as a "President", and any discussion of the restriction of the powers held by such a man must acknowledge that fact. It is pointless to assume, as this debate does, that offices are race-neutral, rather than to discuss the reality, which is that race is the single most significant factor ... " and go on from there.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 10:29:40 AM
How about:

"The questionable hidden premise of this debate is that we can discuss the restriction of the President's war powers without reference to who the President happens to be - as if the Office mattered more than the man. This is false, and hides the reality - that, in America, the fact of the President's race matters as much or more than the office that he holds; a "Black President" is not the same as a "President", and any discussion of the restriction of the powers held by such a man must acknowledge that fact. It is pointless to assume, as this debate does, that offices are race-neutral, rather than to discuss the reality, which is that race is the single most significant factor ... " and go on from there.

That is an attack on a premise.  It wouldn't help the arguments that the wining teams actually made, but it is an attack on a premise.

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2015, 10:52:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 10:29:40 AM
How about:

That is an attack on a premise.  It wouldn't help the arguments that the wining teams actually made, but it is an attack on a premise.

The idea is to gradually segue from that opening into a heated discussion of concepts like "nigga authenticity", complete with performed hip-hop and spoken-word poetry.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 11:06:21 AM
The idea is to gradually segue from that opening into a heated discussion of concepts like "nigga authenticity",

We don't get enough of these discussions on Languish.  Especially these days with Seedy gone :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

He had to take time away from Languish because he is coaching a debate team now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned