"Hacking Traditional College's White Privilege Work"

Started by Queequeg, March 31, 2015, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Berkut's First Amendment rights: not applicable!

Wait is the wrong theater crowded?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Sorry, I am kind of frazzled when it comes to race stuff on Languish after I made Seedy rage quit. :(
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

:lol:

i love this. how often are these debates really judged on substance rather than performance? i've never been involved in a formal debate competition, so i don't know the answer. i have done moot court, which (i think) is like a debate competition for law students. substance goes straight out the window there. students might as well talk shit - if they do it well, why not give them the win.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2015, 12:18:08 PM

i love this. how often are these debates really judged on substance rather than performance? i've never been involved in a formal debate competition, so i don't know the answer. i have done moot court, which (i think) is like a debate competition for law students. substance goes straight out the window there. students might as well talk shit - if they do it well, why not give them the win.

In well-run debates, substance is all-important (in high-school-level inter-school debates, which I have judged for, substance is 3/4 of the grade).  CEDA has always been the "little brother' of the college debate world (despite now being the largest such organization) and has always been less concerned with substance than style, I think.  They grew by being more edgy and less "square" (and, to be fair to them, they almost always had more interesting topics), so the abandonment of the intellectual side of the debate process is more a matter of a change of emphasis than a change of objectives.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on March 31, 2015, 12:18:08 PM

I have judged a number of moots.  The way we do it in national and international mooting competitions is that the substance of the argument is the most significant part being assessed.

The Brain

Debate is about winning. Good for the winners that they debate well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 08:20:10 AM
It would appear that talking smack is now an organized sport.
Hasn't debate been an organized sport for a while now?

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2015, 01:53:23 PM

This appears to be a case where some of the debaters correctly recognized that the judges would not have the balls to risk being called "RACIST!" if they shut down their attempt to hijack the topic, and hence "won" the debate by debating whatever it is they wanted, rather than the actual topic.

And of course, "whatever it is they wanted" was the cultural impact of race on themselves...which I am guessing the non-black debate team is not going to have much of a shot at competing against.

I mean, if you are just a couple of college guys or girls showing up for a debate competition, and the opposing team manages to shift the topic to "How We Have Been Screwed By Your Racist Culture", you really don't have much of a chance in that one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2015, 01:58:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2015, 01:53:23 PM

This appears to be a case where some of the debaters correctly recognized that the judges would not have the balls to risk being called "RACIST!" if they shut down their attempt to hijack the topic, and hence "won" the debate by debating whatever it is they wanted, rather than the actual topic.

And of course, "whatever it is they wanted" was the cultural impact of race on themselves...which I am guessing the non-black debate team is not going to have much of a shot at competing against.

I mean, if you are just a couple of college guys or girls showing up for a debate competition, and the opposing team manages to shift the topic to "How We Have Been Screwed By Your Racist Culture", you really don't have much of a chance in that one.

If you identify the jury as weak and ready to respond to bogus lines of argument, deliver those arguments and win the case then that's a job well done. Happy client.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Warspite

If you want to take on The Man, then you must first master his weapons to use them against him.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on March 31, 2015, 02:15:53 PM
If you want to take on The Man, then you must first master his weapons to use them against him.

I don't think that the extensive use of obscenities and the word "nigger" are the weapons of The Man any more.

Bayraktar!