Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Still just desperately sad about this. Terrorism or an individual suicide are comprehensible. With this....
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2015, 07:52:47 AM
Still just desperately sad about this. Terrorism or an individual suicide are comprehensible. With this....

What's that German word for 'hate of/for the world' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2015, 08:00:26 AM

Weltschmerz?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 27, 2015, 08:09:12 AM

Weltschmerz?

Yes, but I think I'm wrong, as the word isn't really about hate more sadness for/with the world?

Liep

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2015, 08:14:03 AM

Weltschmerz?

Yes, but I think I'm wrong, as the word isn't really about hate more sadness for/with the world?

Yeah, it translate more into "hurting for the world". But I'm sure the Germans also have a word for hating the world with a passion.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 27, 2015, 08:16:03 AM

Weltschmerz?

Yeah, it translate more into "hurting for the world". But I'm sure the Germans also have a word for hating the world with a passion.

Yes that's what were looking for.

Syt

Weltschmerz?

Yes, but it has been illegal to use after the Nuremberg Trials.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2015, 08:27:29 AM

Weltschmerz?

Yes, but it has been illegal to use after the Nuremberg Trials.

I figured. :P

Syt

According to documents found during the search of the co-pilot's home, he was in medical treatment, though so far there's no info what he suffered from. There were several doctor's notes for medical leave, some of them torn up, including for the day of the incident. He hadn't told his employer about this medical condition/leave.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2015, 12:44:59 AM
I may be tires (only slept 4 hours, ending a big transaction) but isnt't the "fatalities per km" metrics a bit misleading? I mean planes naturally are used to travel much longer distance so why the metrics may make planes look good, if you take into account fatalities per trip (flight, train ride etc.) planes stop looking so good. Or am I wrong?
There is no one right metric.  If you have to go somewhere, then that somewhere will be the same distance away, more or less, whether you go by plane or walk on foot.  In that context, per-mile statistics make the most sense.

Berkut

Quote from: Monoriu on March 27, 2015, 02:00:30 AM
All airlines should require that there should be at least two people in the cockpit at all times.  That should be effective immediately.  If you want to pee, you need to get someone to take your seat first.  Isn't 100% proof, but is better than nothing. 

Yeah, that isn't going to stop a really dedicated pilot from putting the plane in grave danger, but it  is a start. And it also seems like a good idea for other reasons, like making sure something simply doesn't happen to a single pilot alone in the cockpit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

There were two pilots in the cockpit of that EgyptAir flight apparently.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2015, 08:53:00 AM
According to documents found during the search of the co-pilot's home, he was in medical treatment, though so far there's no info what he suffered from. There were several doctor's notes for medical leave, some of them torn up, including for the day of the incident. He hadn't told his employer about this medical condition/leave.
He was in psychiatric care and would have lost his flight license if he had told Germanwings.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

BTW, does Germanwings sound better in German than it does in English?