Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:(

Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France
By NICOLA CLARK
MARCH 24, 2015

PARIS — A German plane carrying at least 142 passengers and six crew members from Barcelona to Düsseldorf crashed Tuesday in southern France, the French civil aviation authority confirmed.

The wreckage of the aircraft, an Airbus A320 operated by Germanwings, a budget subsidiary of Lufthansa, was located by a French military helicopter near the town of Prads-Haute-Bléone, according to Eric Héraud, a spokesman in Paris for the aviation authority, the Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile.

The pilots declared an emergency at 10:47 a.m. local time and descended rapidly to around 5,000 feet, from a cruising altitude of 38,000 feet, while flying over the town of Barcelonnette in the Alpes de Haute Provence region, Mr. Héraud said.

President François Hollande of France said many of the victims were German. "The conditions of the accident, which have not yet been clarified, suggest that there might not be any survivors," he said.

Mr. Hollande said he would be in contact with Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany and King Felipe VI of Spain, who is visiting France on Tuesday. He said that all information would be shared with the German and Spanish authorities.

"We must feel grief because this is a tragedy that happened on our soil," Mr. Hollande said. "I want to make sure that there have been no other consequences as the accident happened in a very difficult area to access, and I do not know yet if there were houses nearby. We will know in the next few hours. In the meantime, we must show support."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

mongers

Not sure what good the wall-to-wall live new coverage will do, little information so far and unlikely for a few more hours before rescue crews can examine the crash site in detail.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 24, 2015, 07:26:48 AM
Is wall-to-wall live news coverage ever good?

Were it's an evolving situation and the coverage could provide information that affects/changes some peoples decisions, say during a revolution or riot, like those few days in Egypt or when coverage of the riots in England gave people an idea of where and where not to go?

Syt

And: A flight from Barcelona crashes near a small town named Barcelonnette? Seriously, that's weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2015, 06:48:02 AM
Oh dear.  :(

Hope it wasn't terrorism.

Does not seem so yet. At least the remains will be easily found unlike previous crashes.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 24, 2015, 07:36:54 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2015, 06:48:02 AM
Oh dear.  :(

Hope it wasn't terrorism.

Does not seem so yet. At least the remains will be easily found unlike previous crashes.

Yes, that's something for the relatives, as opposed to the Malaysian airliner or the delays faced by those close to the Ukraine flight victims.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Damn.  :(  And that was the safest airliner in the world (probably still is, even after this).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Anyone else watch that air-crash forensics show "Mayday"? I used to, until my wife told me to stop because it freaked her out too much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2015, 11:27:43 AM
I used to, until my wife told me to stop because it freaked her out too much.
Why?  FYI I've never heard of this show so I'm not sure why it'd freak her out.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2015, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2015, 11:27:43 AM
I used to, until my wife told me to stop because it freaked her out too much.
Why?  FYI I've never heard of this show so I'm not sure why it'd freak her out.

She has a bit of a phobia about vehicles crashing, ever since she totaled our car (mechanical problems, single-car accident). The show is all about recounting the history of plane crashes and the subsequent investigations to root out the causes of same.

The ironic thing is that when planning holidays, she is always in favour of extensive, adventerous travel plans involving much use of potentially dangerous vehicles - see my thread on our recent holiday in Mexico, that involved four airplane rides (two on budget Mexican locals), travelling through Mexico City traffic by car, and a 13 hour trip to the Guatamalian border over mountainous roads in a Mexican "combi" held together with chewing gum and twine, apparently.  :lol:

Much screaming & panic attacks ensued. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius