News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lee Kuan Yew is Near Death

Started by Monoriu, March 22, 2015, 01:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

There is an outpouring of support for Lee Kuan Yew, the first prime minister of Singapore, who is over 90 years old and is reportedly fighting for his life in a hospital.  We all know this is the end but Singaporeans have placed a massive amount of flowers outside the hospital hoping for a miracle. 

If only Hong Kong has such a statesman. 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

An oppressive dictatorship? Good riddance, old motherfucker. Hope he suffers.

Monoriu

Monoriu

Monoriu

Monoriu

QuoteStatement

Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of the former Prime Minister of Singapore, H.E. Mr. Lee Kuan Yew

New York, 22 March 2015

The Secretary-General is deeply saddened by the death of H.E. Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, former Prime Minister of the Republic of Singapore. He offers his condolences to the family of the former Prime Minister, the Government and the people of Singapore.

Lee Kuan Yew was a legendary figure in Asia, widely respected for his strong leadership and statesmanship. During his three decades in office, he helped Singapore to transition from a developing country to one of the most developed in the world, transforming it into a thriving international business hub. As Singapore marks its 50th anniversary of independence this year, its founding father will be remembered as one of the most inspiring Asian leaders.

The Secretary-General is grateful for the strong cooperation between the Government of Singapore and the United Nations, and looks forward to deepening this partnership.

KRonn

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

How does not voting help Mono become a great statesman? Well maybe it will lead to the CPC recognizing him as their man in Hong Kong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2015, 07:35:21 PM
How does not voting help Mono become a great statesman? Well maybe it will lead to the CPC recognizing him as their man in Hong Kong.

I took Mono's post as he is doing his part to facilitate a great non democratic statesman like Lee Kuan Yew in Hong Kong by boycotting the democratic process.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

I don't know anything about his background, so I'll go with default option:

Leader of independence movement, imprisoned by British, who eventually negotiate with them and person become leading independence politician/the British choose them and handover all of the power to this individual.  :bowler:

edit:

since this is asia they probably also lead the anti-Japanese or the anti-British collaborating guerilla group during WW2.

edit 2:
So I wandered over to wiki to check his biography, turns out I was completely wrong.  :D

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on March 22, 2015, 07:41:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2015, 07:35:21 PM

I took Mono's post as he is doing his part to facilitate a great non democratic statesman like Lee Kuan Yew in Hong Kong by boycotting the democratic process.

There is some of that, yes.  I also believe that I will make a really lousy statesman.  So the best that I can do is to do nothing. 

mongers

In the scheme of things, could one say life is a near death experience?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017