New Hampshire Legislators Kill Fourth Graders’ Bill & Dreams In Front of Them

Started by jimmy olsen, March 20, 2015, 02:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2015, 08:08:39 AM
Oh it was for a state raptor, so change my opinion to no, if they've already got a bird.

Yeah. One state bird is enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 20, 2015, 11:15:10 AM
The difference between the two is that Burt had a good, if bitter, point;

Really?  Was there some other pressing business of the New Hampshire legislature that was derailed here?  (If Groen's outburst is typical of business as usual there clearly not). 

Was this really the right time and place to make a big stand on this critical point of principle? Is it possible to have some basic perspective and common sense?   

They are 4 graders, be a freakin mensch and pass their bill; make your big principled crabby sarcastic stand some other time.

EDIT:  Is there any doubt that if some big donor asked Burt to sponsor something equally pointless he would have jumped up and done it?   asshole.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

No, I think the kids learned an important lesson here.  Republicans mean BUSINESS. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I find the idea that political decisions should be made based on how you don't want to hurt some children's feelings a bit... odd.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2015, 01:59:09 PM
They are 4 graders, be a freakin mensch and pass their bill; make your big principled crabby sarcastic stand some other time.

What's the age cut-off for not taking a crabby, sarcastic stance?  High-schoolers?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Really?  Was there some other pressing business of the New Hampshire legislature that was derailed here?  (If Groen's outburst is typical of business as usual there clearly not). 

Was this really the right time and place to make a big stand on this critical point of principle? Is it possible to have some basic perspective and common sense?   

EDIT:  Is there any doubt that if some big donor asked Burt to sponsor something equally pointless he would have jumped up and done it?   asshole.

Ooh, they are making JR mad!  He's getting all Jewish!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: The Brain on March 20, 2015, 02:22:01 PM
I find the idea that political decisions should be made based on how you don't want to hurt some children's feelings a bit... odd.

Yeah.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2015, 03:59:21 PM

Ooh, they are making JR mad!  He's getting all Jewish!

Not wishing to comment on this post specifically, but we're certainly seeing a more combative JR in 2015.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Would a better time have been the vote on the official state amphibian, the official state bread, or the official state crayon color?

Malthus

I'm gonna go with "assholes". The notion is that the valuable time of the state legislature was being wasted to entertain a class of grade 4 students - the logic being that the legislature's time was otherwise valuable.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

What about official state dinosaurs, that way legislators could upset pre-schools through to 10 year olds.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on March 20, 2015, 05:54:23 PM
What about official state dinosaurs, that way legislators could upset pre-schools through to 10 year olds.  :D

Don't laugh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_dinosaurs

They could pick a really sucky one - "Our State Dinosaur is ... Microceratops".  :D

Edit: New Jersey did just that!  :lol: They chose Hadrosaurus foulkii ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2015, 05:36:23 PM

Would a better time have been the vote on the official state amphibian, the official state bread, or the official state crayon color?

New Hampshire already has a both a "state fruit" and a "state vegetable" (pumpkin and white potato, respectively).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_foods

The state vegetable was enacted in 2013:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/hb0535.html

Moreover, New Hampshire *does* have a state amphibian (the red-spotted newt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_amphibians