Opinion: The Navy Needs a Wider Look at Wargaming

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 19, 2015, 01:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteOpinion: The Navy Needs a Wider Look at Wargaming

Under the auspices of the Defense Innovation Initiative, announced by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel before he left office, Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work has sounded a call to revive the practice of wargaming in the Department of Defense. In a memo issued Feb. 9, Work announced plans to "reinvigorate, institutionalize, and systematize wargaming across the Department."

This memo is a vital first step, and should instigate a Navy wide re-examination of when, why, and how we conduct these evolutions across the force. Lessons learned a century ago demonstrate that the Navy should take the memo's intent on board, but must go even further than Mr. Work's suggestions in order to maximize the warfighting ability and innovative spirit of the fleet.

Get the rest from the USNI link.

As one of the commenters on the USNI site said, I didn't realize naval wargaming had fallen so far.  It sounds as though games like Harpoon are not used at all anymore, at least not in a serious fashion.

I think Armstrong is being a little optimistic about the benefits, though.  Top Navy brass has a history of showing disdain when creative junior officers bust the shit out of their tactics and doctrine.

The Brain

I own Seekrieg 5 and some other game but haven't played any yet.

Edit: oh yeah Command at Sea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017