Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential

Started by jimmy olsen, March 16, 2015, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 02:17:03 PM
The only way to win is not to play.  :lol:

Certainly not if you keep getting dealt a 2 - 7  offsuit. Which does feel like the hand you are dealt in most discussions with grumbler.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2015, 02:13:53 PM
I got more than the one response, and this is the first bait I've used in over a year.  :showoff:

Quotejust stop

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
The Loser Generation is full of losers.  Shock.  Horror.  etc.  Film at 11.

I'd, like, write a scathing rebuttal, but I, you know, don't feel like it right now, dude.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2015, 02:25:16 PM
I'd, like, write a scathing rebuttal, but I, you know, don't feel like it right now, dude.

This is something remarkably similar to something the students walking around here would say.  Except it needs to end with a question mark.

DGuller

Trolls are like jokes.  If no one realizes you're doing it until you claim to be doing it, then you're either backtracking or doing it badly.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on March 16, 2015, 01:30:57 PM
I'm Gen X and I'm bloody useless.
You're not totally useless.  You have cool avatars.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 16, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2015, 02:13:53 PM
I got more than the one response, and this is the first bait I've used in over a year.  :showoff:

Quotejust stop
No.*  :showoff:

*Your over-reaction is even better than the original guys' ones.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2015, 02:25:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
The Loser Generation is full of losers.  Shock.  Horror.  etc.  Film at 11.

:lol:  That's how to play the game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2015, 09:01:11 PM

No.*  :showoff:

*Your over-reaction is even better than the original guys' ones.

Quotejust stop

Razgovory

The sad thing about a clown is he never knows if a someone is laughing with him or at him. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2015, 09:11:31 PMThere are a lot of acronyms in that article.

That is typical from articles directed at a very specific audience of insiders. Obviously Tim thinks that a sizeable part of this board is well versed in the vernacular of the American research community, and knows the acronyms of their funding programs, research contracts and involved institutions by heart.

I mean, this paragraph alone needs a glossary.

QuoteIt ignores another trend from the NIH, i.e. working busily to shore up the ability of the oldest guard of scientists to remain funded. You know about the Emeritus award they are considering. You have observed how well the very oldest slice of our PI applicant pool is treated at study section. And you have seen how NIGMS, the IC most serious about this workforce stability stuff*, put the oldsters at the front of the line with their MIRA initiative. Of course, the second in line (and in fact the only ones in line) for this little MIRA project are, you guessed it, ESIs.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2015, 06:13:09 AM
That is typical from articles directed at a very specific audience of insiders. Obviously Tim thinks that a sizeable part of this board is well versed in the vernacular of the American research community, and knows the acronyms of their funding programs, research contracts and involved institutions by heart.

You do get the strong vibe that Timmay just read the title and then copy-pasted it here.  That's why I was mocking this; it is so absurd, such a set of special pleadings that fly in the face of what we know about how scientific research takes place, that it deserved only scorn.  The entire evidence that "Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential" is a coupla butthurt government researchers.  Not a crisis.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 06:24:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2015, 06:13:09 AM

You do get the strong vibe that Timmay just read the title and then copy-pasted it here.  That's why I was mocking this; it is so absurd, such a set of special pleadings that fly in the face of what we know about how scientific research takes place, that it deserved only scorn.  The entire evidence that "Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential" is a coupla butthurt government researchers.  Not a crisis.
I read the whole thing. I read a lot of blogs that get technical.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point