Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential

Started by jimmy olsen, March 16, 2015, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 06:24:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2015, 06:13:09 AM
That is typical from articles directed at a very specific audience of insiders. Obviously Tim thinks that a sizeable part of this board is well versed in the vernacular of the American research community, and knows the acronyms of their funding programs, research contracts and involved institutions by heart.

You do get the strong vibe that Timmay just read the title and then copy-pasted it here.  That's why I was mocking this; it is so absurd, such a set of special pleadings that fly in the face of what we know about how scientific research takes place, that it deserved only scorn.  The entire evidence that "Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential" is a coupla butthurt government researchers.  Not a crisis.
I read the whole thing. I read a lot of blogs that get technical.

And did you understand it?

The Larch

This is from the original article:

QuoteDrugMonkey (the author) is an NIH-funded researcher who blogs about careerism in science.

If his intended audience gets any narrower it'll be just him and two other dudes. And obviously none of us are part of this audience.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2015, 06:33:12 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2015, 06:29:24 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 06:24:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2015, 06:13:09 AM
That is typical from articles directed at a very specific audience of insiders. Obviously Tim thinks that a sizeable part of this board is well versed in the vernacular of the American research community, and knows the acronyms of their funding programs, research contracts and involved institutions by heart.

You do get the strong vibe that Timmay just read the title and then copy-pasted it here.  That's why I was mocking this; it is so absurd, such a set of special pleadings that fly in the face of what we know about how scientific research takes place, that it deserved only scorn.  The entire evidence that "Gen X will never live up to its scientific potential" is a coupla butthurt government researchers.  Not a crisis.
I read the whole thing. I read a lot of blogs that get technical.

And did you understand it?
I had to look up some of the acronyms, but I don't think they're necessary to understand the article, which is really about the politics within the scientific establishment that favor the old and established, with some bones thrown to the newest kids on the block while being weighted heavily against the mid-career researcher.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Academia is a mess, but the amount of special pleading I heard back when I was interested in these things was ridiculous.

At a cocktail reception once I ventured the (I thought) self-evident point that the terrible pay and post-doctoral-research hamster wheel could perhaps have resulted from a glut of PhDs. Given that the effect that this has on pay and working conditions is well known, perhaps those complaining could have made different career choices.

Boy, that was a mistake:

:mellow:  :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

So far the bottoms have fallen out of the markets for JDs, MBAs (at least non-elite MBAs), and PhDs.

What's next?  My prediction is IT.

Razgovory

I predict the LOLs, OMGs and WTFs, will take a nose dive soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2015, 10:56:35 AM
So far the bottoms have fallen out of the markets for JDs, MBAs (at least non-elite MBAs), and PhDs.

STEM-degree holders without communications skills or those lacking dress sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 01:35:13 PM

Whew I should be safe then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Kinda already happened. IT is a pretty broad category, but it's very accessible. Some kid in a village in Romania can learn to write Java for you in his spare time. On the one hand, that's pretty cool. On the other, it distorts the skills market we used to have. Not saying that's good or bad, just that it's changed and continues to change.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 18, 2015, 01:35:13 PM

I hope that was exclusive or. :unsure:

Siege

Timmay, why the hell do you post the article in your opening post in quotes?
You aint quoting nobody in languish.
When posting an article just post it straight, providing the name of the author and the original link.
Man, this is basic shit.

About scientific research:
Scientific and technological research are a mass process, to which EVERYONE contributes with their taxes regardless.
It is the accumulation of knowledge and the capital to fund this research. Some people contribute directly, all contribute indirectly. Some people contribute a lot, all contribute a little.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2015, 09:56:47 AM
When posting an article just post it straight, providing the name of the author and the original link.
Man, this is basic shit.

Actually it'd be great if you could follow the format that the rest of us have adopted and Timmy demonstrates. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2015, 09:58:56 AM
Quote from: Siege on March 19, 2015, 09:56:47 AM
Man, this is basic shit.

Actually it'd be great if you could follow the format that the rest of us have adopted and Timmy demonstrates. :rolleyes:

Fuck you Garbon.
I ain't your little bitch.
I am not here to satisfy your upmost desires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvf5_phmZk

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"